Long overdue: Responding to Student Comments Part Three

Happy Monday!

I feel like this is definitely long overdue, because I’ve let a couple of questions I’ve received from students pile up in my Gmail inbox…so here are the questions–and my responses–that I’ve received the past couple of weeks.

First off, I found your blog earlier today and promptly read every single entry. It’s really entertaining and informative (and I enjoy all the big red arrows!). Anyway, I do have a point. Like you, I applied ED to Cornell (the College of Human Ecology was the one for me). After receiving my acceptance almost a month ago, I’m starting to go stir-crazy! I’m ready to get out of here and set off for my four years at Cornell, and I’ve had it up to here with high school. Can you give any tips on making it through the rest of my senior year without going completely insane? How did you manage those last six months of incarceration?

First off, thanks for the compliments!

Knowing where you’re going in December of your senior year certainly is a great feeling, but it also leaves you with an inordinate amount of time when you’re essentially in limbo–you’ve basically “won” at high school as your hard work has paid off, but can’t officially move on just yet. Last year, I do remember a few people getting in early and saying how the remaining months of high school were going to be “hell.” My advice? Don’t let it be! In my opinion, senior year is one of the most fun times in your life as you don’t have to worry tremendously about grades, can enjoy your time with your longtime friends, and have a bunch to look forward to (proms, graduation parties, award ceremonies, senior outings, graduation, yadda yadda). Think about all the things you’ll miss next year–proximity to friends and family, relationships with teachers, the Wendy’s within walking distance of your house–and try to appreciate them as much as you can now. Good luck!

Oh, here’s a tip though…when you’re taking pictures before graduation, make sure that you are wearing the cap the right way or you risk looking like a bumbling idiot like myself. See:

gradbackwards

David, Is on campus housing guaranteed all four years? and if not where do people go? what will you do?

Hey there, great question.

According to this somewhat old document, campus housing is guaranteed for freshman year and sophomore year only (assuming for sophomore year you abide by their deadlines). As you progress through your Cornell career, you’ll notice that people do tend to either go Greek or go off-campus, living in Collegetown apartments or other places close-by.

Alice Cook House on West Campus, one of the newest housing options

A lot of places cater to Cornell students–take Gun Hill for example.Personally, I have no idea what I’ll be doing junior or senior year…nor am I 100% sure what I’ll be doing next year (although I can tell you that West Campus housing is sounding very attractive…). If you have any other housing questions, I’m sure the wonderful people at Cornell housing would love to help you out–click here for info.

Hey David-I was accepted ED into Human Ecology! I’m very excited and eagerly awaiting my formal letter of acceptance (I checked the notice online to find out). I was just wondering – what’s next?

Hey, congrats! You and the first commenter on this post are practically related HumEc-er’s. What’s next, you ask? Enjoying senior year, that’s what’s next. Cornell doesn’t really do anything in the time between Early Decision notification and regular decision notification, so you can just hang back and wait for everyone else to get accepted in late-March to early-April, when you’ll receive a huge packet in the mail with housing and dining information, as well as lots of other good stuff. Oh, and enjoy the weather you’re experiencing, which, unless you’re from north of Ithaca, is probably a tad warmer than what you’ll be experiencing once you arrive!

Icicles in Ithaca

Icicles in Ithaca

Hi David! I’ve been reading your posts since forever.. and a quite random question just popped up the other day. I’m just curious as to why you’re the freshman that’s writing this blog– like did Cornell contact you and asked you to start a blog? or was there some sort of application involved? Does Cornell give opportunities like this to newly admitted students every year? Thanks for answering my somewhat-random question! 🙂

Well, I’m glad you asked. You see, not long after I was accepted, the ghost of Ezra Cornell came up to me one night at 3 am telling me that I had been the chosen freshman to blog for the Cornell website. I felt I had to oblige–who could resist this face?

Untitled-1Nahh, in reality I applied for the job after seeing this page on the Cornell website that said Life on the Hill was hiring. I loved reading other students’ blogs and it helped cement the idea in my mind that Cornell was the place for me, so I wanted to give back and do the same thing for prospective students.

Thanks for the questions as always, and feel free to shoot me any more that you guys might have by clicking here. Also, some of my fellow bloggers, like Cullen and Patricia who have just added a contact form, are eager to answer your questions as well…so fire away!

One thought on “Long overdue: Responding to Student Comments Part Three

1. Lisa

The Ghost of Ezra Cornell says that if you’d like to pass my contact info along to the person who asked about blogging next year, that would be okay with him.