Parents Weekend!

Last weekend was First-Year Parents Weekend here at Cornell, an event that takes place every October. New Student Programs - Cornell UniversityIt’s exactly how it sounds–all the mommies and daddies of the freshmen class come up to Ithaca for the weekend, partake in activities as a family, explore all that Cornell has to offer, and just enjoy some good ol’ family bonding.

Parents Weekend is kind of at an odd time during the year, at least in my opinion–I just saw my parents two weeks ago over fall break, so it’s not like I was really needing to see them in the sense that I was feeling homesick. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always happy to see them and always miss them–but if I had the option to “bank” Parent’s Weekend for the dark, dreary days of February I would have done so.

So what did I do with mommy and daddy? (No, I don’t actually call them that. I stopped after…say, 4th grade. I promise.) We did a lot of stuff, including:

• Climbing McGraw tower. Is it embarrassing that I’ve been here for practically two months and have only recently climbed Cornell’s famous icon? It was a great time, and we were rewarded with an awesome view of Cornell and the Ithaca area.
View of the Arts Quad from the top of McGraw

• Sleeping in at the hotel. Alright…I admit it. I love dorm living as much as the next college student, but when my family offered to let me sleep in their room at the Marriott with comfortable sheets, I was NOT going to refuse.
  • Visiting the Cornell store. What better time than Parent’s Weekend for the family to stock up on Big Red gear?!
  • Showing them my dorm/classrooms, etc. Maybe my parents aren’t representative of the entire parenting population, but they were genuinely curious to see where exactly my French classroom was and how long my walks from class to class are every day. So, who am I to deprive them of that information? Oh, and as far as the dorm goes…let’s just say that my roommate and I cleaned up the room quite a bit before them came. Look how great it look(ed):

P1060644.JPG (3 documents, 3 total pages)

All in all, it was a great weekend. Unfortunately, I’m back into the swing of things…which means lots of work.

On a completely random note, I’ve started ordering in Chinese food to my dorm from a local Ithaca restaurant. I always order too much, though, much to the delight of the other hungry kids on the floor.

cornell.edu (1280×960)

Beef with broccoli and fried rice...what could be better?!

Also, prospective Cornellians, contact me and let me know what you want to hear about! One of my friends was giving me a hard time about my last post involving care packages, saying “no senior in high school would be interested in that.” While that’s partly just him giving me hell for the sake of it, he did have a point. SO…give me feedback and I’ll try to adjust accordingly.

I’ll be headed down to Jon Stewart’s Rally to Restore Sanity this weekend through a Cornell arranged trip–I’ll let you know how it goes!

Let me wrap up this post by responding to a senior’s question:

I was wondering about the structure of the classes at Cornell. What is the size of an average class? I am almost positive I want to apply ED to Cornell, but I want to make sure it’s the right choice… So any advice or insight you could give me would be appreciated!

Thanks for the question. The size of an average class, as any Cornellian could tell you, varies tremendously depending on the subject matter and the format of the class. Before I arrived at Cornell, I pictured all my classes as being these huge lectures with 400 students in a hall with little to no professor-student interaction. However, 2 of my classes this semester–my writing seminar and my French class–both have less than 20 kids, and both professors know everyone’s name! I only have one HUGE lecture, and that’s Intro to Macroeconomics. There’s a discussion section, though, with about 20 students where we can ask the TA questions. So, if you’re signed up for broad introductory classes (i.e. Astronomy or Psych 101), expect to be simply a number in the audience. Otherwise, in the case of some foreign languages or discussion-based classes, you’ll be able to interact with your professor well. Understand, though, that this is Cornell and not a small 1,000 student liberal arts college: if you’re looking for more personal interactions, perhaps a smaller school would be a better bet.

4 thoughts on “Parents Weekend!

1. Page

Parents Weekend sounds so unique and interesting! Does Cornell actually plan events and activities for all the parents and students?
    And I loved reading about the care packages , by the way!

2. Pingback: Cornell: Round 2! | Candid at Cornell