30 Days and Counting…

Ever since this whole “college” process began, the whole idea of going away from home seemed like such a far away thing–something that would come around eventually, of course, but not anytime in the near future. Now that I’ve been getting things like my housing assignment, orientation materials and Cornell e-mail, it’s finally beginning to hit me that hey…I’m going to be on my own very soon!

Orientation Materials!Orientation Materials!

I’ve definitely been keeping myself busy this summer. I’ve been working as a camp counselor at a local day camp every day, and while it’s a lot of fun, it’s really tiring. I’ve been coming home exhausted every day and have frequently just fallen asleep on the couch. I do love the work though, and get along with kids (in this case, 5 year olds!) well, so I’m glad that I’m doing it. Every day that I’m out there in the sun and find myself wishing that it was a little cooler temperature-wise, I keep thinking about how much I’m going to be begging for weather like this when I’m in Ithaca (where the snow, from what I’ve been told, starts in November and ends in late April). Ah well, good thing we get a good chunk of January off for break–maybe I can take that time to go somewhere nice and warm.

Cornell-wise, I’ve had a lot to do as well. For all attending students, Cornell has a website set up that tracks all your required documents that looks like this:

To Do List - First-Year - New Students - Cornell University-2

Where is my final report?!

Everything seems to be going well on my end, except for the fact I’m kind of stressed out about where my final report is. It was supposed to be sent from my school before the deadline, July 12, but Cornell doesn’t seem to have it. I guess I’m going to have to call the friendly people at admissions or something to ask about what I should do…unless it looks the same for everyone?

It is kind of fun making all these minor decisions about Cornell, I have to admit. Recently, for example, I had to choose between Meal Plans–something that would otherwise be kind of a dull thing. However, hearing all the good things about Cornell food (does the Ag school really grow all the fruit/vegetables on campus?!), gave me all the encouragement I needed to sign up for the Traditional Bear meal plan. To be honest, I completely forgot the perks of it at the moment but I do remember that it involved a good amount of food (something like 14, 15 meals a week maybe?). Ah well, it should all be worth it.

Ok, and something else surprised me while filling out all these forms: we actually have to pay for a gym membership?! I figured it’d be included since, y’know, we’re paying $40-50 thousand a year to the Big Red…but I guess not. Anyways, I signed up for just the fall semester CFC (Cornell Fitness Center) membership because I figured I have no idea how everything will work out time-wise next year.

Since I’m only working for 4 weeks at camp and get off July 23rd, a lot of people have been asking me what I’m going to be doing the 3 or 4 weeks before I head up to Ithaca. The answer? Absolutely nothing, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s basically the last time when I can hang with my friends (some of which I’ve known since preschool) without any stresses or worries, and I can’t wait. Oh, and I’ll be reading the (required) book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It looks pretty interesting; I’ll let you know what I think of it.

Today in West Hartford it’s supposed to be like 95 degrees, according to the Today Show. It’s apparently hotter here than in Miami today, so I’ll probably be going to the local pool. See you later for now…

6 thoughts on “30 Days and Counting…

1. An alum

No, the Ag School doesn’t grow the vegetables, but the dairy makes the ice cream.

The gyms aren’t free because your student activity fee is very low. Check it out, it’s less than $125, whereas at other schools it’s around $500. Cornell is a pay-go system for things like that: you only pay for what you use. And if you work it out, a full year membership to the gym is $12.08/month.

2. Travis

Just some thought from someone that has spent some time on the hill:

Meal plans – you will probably find that you will use BRBs (big red bucks) more than the actual meals so i would suggest going with the Bear Choice plan (10 meals 500 BRBs). That way you still get dinner every day and have room for a few dinning hall lunches at okenshields with happy dave!

Gym – yeah it sucks that you have to pay for it (it should be included) but I found that i got plenty of exercise walking where ever i needed to go (even took a few long walks down to the commons and walmart).

Book – DADOES is an amazing book (it is the basis for the movie Blade Runner). Defiantly dont have to read the book or write the essay if you dont want to. If you end up liking the book Philip K. Dick is one of my favorite sci-fi writers and i would suggest reading Ubik (my favorite book by him).

Enjoy these last 30 days — but maximize your time at cornell it will be the best time of you life

3. Hannah

Welcome David!

I found your blog via Twitter (@Cornell_Univ) and I’m already excited to see what adventures you’ll get yourself into. As a recent graduate (May 2010) I can tell you that you’re in for the ride of a lifetime, full of unbelievable highs and lows. Cornell is like nothing else you’ve experienced before and it will shape you in all kinds of ways, including some you didn’t expect.

I remember being in your shoes five years ago (wow, has it already been that long…?!) and having no idea what I was getting myself into. I remember looking around three years ago and wondering whether I made the right choice. Looking back on it now, I have no doubts that I did. Cornell is a very special place; once you’ve been through that academic rigor and those Ithaca winters, I’m convinced that you’re pretty much invincible.

It’s exciting to read about the start of your journey and remember my own, and it reminds me that even within the Cornell bubble, everyone’s experience is a little different. Congratulations on your acceptance and best of luck!

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention 30 Days and Counting… | Candid at Cornell -- Topsy.com

5. Elizabeth Cowles

Alumni of the Greater Harford area hope to meet you at the send off on August 16th. Welcome to Cornell!

6. Nate '07

Welcome to Cornell! I concur with Travis’s sentiment: maximize your time at Cornell — it might be one of the best times in your life.

We are the alumni; we write all the checks
    We abstain from marijuana and smoking and sex *sigh!*
    We rest on our laurels; our careers progress well
    But oh to be twenty and back at Cornell!
    — “Song of the Classes”