by

The Incredible Evolving Research Statement

I wanted to follow up my “recent” post about research statements with a trace of how mine’s evolved over the last several years. I’m hoping this will help people at multiple career stages tell their own stories as well as give a concrete example of how one’s own story can change over time.

For my statement in fall of 2007, I was a year into my postdoc and writing my statement for my third time around on the job market. I wound up organizing it around five small themes that had emerged out of my work: “creating a better user experience in recommender systems”, “making recommendations for research papers”, “understanding how interfaces affect people’s contributions to communities”, “encouraging people to provide public goods in online communities”, and “exploring how technologies can support social interactions”.

This was a pretty reasonable chronological story of what I had done and how I had moved from algorithms toward interfaces, using the “understanding” part to help marry the algorithmic/interface work I had done with the move toward recommender and social science theory applied to growing online communities. It was fairly easy to tell, chronologically and intellectually accurate, and gave me a chance to talk about most of my work to that point–which at that point was a good thing.

My high level story of “help groups make sense of information” was probably too broad given my career stage and the work I’d done at the time, so that part kind of sucked; the coherence between the parts was also at a kind of surface level. I also had a future directions nod to “computational social science” at the end, because I was hanging out with the “Getting Connected: Social Science in the Age of Networks” group at Cornell’s Institute for Social Sciences. There were natural connections between my prior Wikipedia work and stuff in the air there, and it felt like a research direction that had legs.

Fast forward to late fall of 2010, where I’m writing my statement for my third year review. At this point I’ve advised students for a few years who are starting to take things in their own directions, writing grants with new research themes around reflection on social media data, and having lots of success collaborating with folks in the Networks group.

Thus, I’ve got a bigger story to tell and I zoomed out quite a bit to an overarching theme of how we might think of work around big data organized into three broad categories: “big data as a door” (that systems can unlock through modeling of users’ interests for recommendation and e-commerce), “big data as a window” (that researchers can observe and study human behavior through primarily for theory-building), and “big data as a mirror” (that systems present back to the people who create the data to support understanding and reflection). I then talk about how I think cool work brings these views together and give a few brief examples of ongoing projects with stories about how they marry the perspective.

I liked this telling for a number of reasons. In particular, I believe this: the big data story usually gets told from just one perspective and I do prefer work that marries them. It still aligns pretty well with the chronological and intellectual evolution of what I do. It also groups disparate work together, which is important because (as we will see in a future advising statement) I try hard to give students flexibility in research topics and make it my job to help it fit together.

For consumers, it lets people me in ways that  map well to their own background: Dan the recommender systems guy, Dan the computational social science guy, Dan the reflection on and reuse of social media guy. On the other hand, it tries to get away from particular systems: I don’t want to be “the MovieLens guy”, “the Pensieve guy”, or “the Wikipedia guy”; being known for studying one system feels a little narrow, even though Wikipedia research is super-broad and I know that some of my reputation is based on the Wikipedia work.

It doesn’t do a great job of talking about specific impacts, and as Jeff Hancock pointed out, among other problems it has way too much typography. It’s also still a little scattershot; the “next directions” in particular are kind of a mish-mash of the things that were going on at the time.

But it felt like a good story, good enough that the high level framing is still the backbone in my current draft of the statement for tenure. The themes are the same, although I reduced the emphasis on the metaphor of doors, windows, and people, instead foregrounding the main point about who was doing the meaning-making. The “next directions” are also more coherent with prior work and are described in more detail, which felt strong. I also still try to give credit to collaborators and to contextualize things relative to other work, both of which I see as important.

There’s also value in deleting here. I took out much of the typography, leaving only a main idea per paragraph highlighted that tries to call out the primary impact or novelty in that chunk. I also left out pieces of the work that were hard to connect to the story or that have had lower impact so far. You don’t need to talk about everything and it can get confusing (and too long) for readers’ comfort.

I’m pretty happy with it now, for now. I’m still not sure about the explicit attempt to demonstrate that the work has had impact at the end. It feels a little braggy and Geri Gay says (correctly I think) that this should be more detailed and that citation counts only go so far.

But it’s probably what I’m going to run with. Wish me luck and good luck in your own research statement writing endeavors.

Write a Comment

Comment

1. The incredible evolving research statement is a statement that changes with time. It is like an evolving butterfly that transforms its form in order to adapt to its surroundings. Now you can check uk essays reviews for more interesting things of education. When a statement changes, it offers its users an opportunity to start thinking about something new and make decisions accordingly. In other words, it provides a way to be innovative amidst possibilities at all levels of work. However, a good partnership between the original thoughts and your new ones will help you keep up with current trends, so that you don’t seem too dated to your audience.

2. One of the most powerful tools for harnessing and communicating research is using the incredible evolving research statement. Using this method can really help to give your readers a better understanding of your findings, which makes them feel more secure in their decision-making process. Check https://orlandoexpressmovers.com/ and get more detail about transport. The purpose of this blog post is to get you started with putting together your own incredible evolving research statement.

3. The Incredible Evolving Research Statement is a simple yet complicated reflection of the way research takes place in an academic setting. You need to check this https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/police-brutality/ and get more new ways for Police Brutality. The Incredible Evolving Research Statement was created by Michael Hufford for his graduate students at Indiana University (Indianapolis). The purpose of the statement is to help make sure that the research you do on a topic has context and meaning within your classroom.

4. Hello! Thanks for sharing a brilliant article, as it is really useful and interesting for me! But I would like to say a few words about studying! Who can help writing a research proposal? So, writing papers in no time. They always have discounts and excellent prices for learners. This amazing writing company saved me and my nerves, and now I’ve no problems with my studies at all. To get more needful for you info, you can click on their site!

5. Make your content material personal through the use of feelings and emotions within the content material. Write the essay https://www.nursingpaper.com/examples/opioids/ as if you’re speaking to the officers in person. Your tone and private contact must be explicitly seen within the content. The committee needs to know the applicant’s real personality, thinking, objectives, and achievements. Therefore, drafting an essay about your self shall be a good suggestion. However, it depends on the essay immediate and private desire.

6. I am so impressed with the paraphrasing service uk! The team helped me to reword my essay and made it sound much more professional and polished. Their prices are reasonable, and they deliver work quickly. I will definitely use this service again in the future!

7. As a fellow student, I understand the value of a polished and impactful resume provided by jobhero review updated. Whether you’re seeking internships, part-time gigs, or gearing up for your first post-graduation job hunt, having a well-crafted resume is essential for standing out in today’s competitive job market. That’s why I enthusiastically recommend seeking professional help to create or update your resume for anyone who wants to make a lasting impression and increase their chances of success in the job search.

8. The evolution of research statements has been nothing short of remarkable, reflecting the dynamic landscape of academia and the growing digital age. In this context, the emergence of platforms like http://www.adulttraffic69.com/ marks a significant shift. Researchers are now navigating a virtual realm where traditional boundaries are being redefined, enabling them to explore diverse perspectives and collaborate globally. The incredible evolving research statement encapsulates this transformative journey, weaving together the traditional rigor of academia with the boundless opportunities of the internet. As researchers adapt to this digital revolution, the fusion of innovative thinking and online resources paves the way for groundbreaking discoveries and scholarly collaborations, shaping the future of academic discourse in unprecedented ways.

9. The incredible evolving research statement delves into the dynamic landscape of academic exploration, where innovation is paramount. Within this context, the phrase sensory wall panel emerges as a focal point, embodying the cutting-edge intersection of technology and human experience. Researchers navigate uncharted territories, unveiling the potential of sensory wall panels to revolutionize environments, fostering interactive and immersive encounters. As the statement evolves, it reflects the ever-expanding horizons of knowledge, pushing the boundaries of conventional research and inviting a future shaped by the transformative capabilities of the sensory wall panel.

10. I enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing.

Are you looking for Nursing Case Study Experts? Our professional team assist you 24/7 at Casestudyhelp.net. We help you write case study writing services with 100% plagiarism-free work at the most affordable price.

11. Crafting an evolving research statement is akin to sculpting a dynamic narrative that continuously unfolds with new discoveries. Much like a magician honing their craft, researchers weave a tale of inquiry, innovation, and adaptation. With each experiment and analysis, the narrative expands, revealing unforeseen avenues of exploration. Visit magician lessons to witness the transformative power of continuous learning and discovery in action.

12. Crafting an exceptional research statement is akin to navigating an evolving landscape, where adaptability is key. In today’s digital age, the fusion of academia and technology is profound. From delving into cutting-edge medical breakthroughs to exploring the intricate realms of data science, the journey is dynamic. As researchers embark on this odyssey, the significance of resources like Online medical supply store cannot be overstated, fueling innovation and progress.

13. The journey of crafting a research statement is akin to sculpting a masterpiece, with each iteration refining its essence. Much like cci primers #34, it acts as a catalyst, igniting a process of exploration and innovation. As ideas unfold and perspectives shift, the research statement evolves, becoming a dynamic reflection of scholarly pursuits. It serves not only as a roadmap but also as a testament to the researcher’s dedication to pushing the boundaries of knowledge.