A Sea of MaizeMy younger sister goes to the University of Michigan. Being raised a die-hard Notre Dame fan, I was very opposed to this, but decided that I would support her by visiting during a football weekend to watch the Wolverines take on the Fighting Irish.

Growing up in Big-10 country, I know how big sports schools are. Having attended Cornell, I thought I would be able to handle myself, I mean we camp out overnight for hockey tickets. To me, that meant I could almost hold my own. I was wrong.

Michigan on a football weekend is unreal. I have never seen so many drunk and happy people in one place. And I knew so many people there, and managed to accidently run into almost every single one of them. Even though Notre Dame lost in what was the single best football game I have EVER seen, I had an absolute blast. (But the girls I was staying with wouldn’t let me wear my Notre Dame stuff because that would have endangered them. People would have thrown stuff at me, and them because they were with me. Wow…)

Needless to say, I returned to Cornell, only to remeber that while we have more varsity sports programs than any SEC or Big-10 school, we aren’t quite on their level. Until now…

Top 25!!! In the country! Sure, it isn’t the AP poll, but that is pretty awesome. Of the Cornell Basketball teams 3 (Yea, I said it, 3) losses, two of them came to teams with a combined record of 42-2. The other one, to Big East power Seton Hall. And it hasn’t just been lowly lousy teams we’ve beaten: ‘Bama, Davidson, St. John’s, Massachusetts. Oh, and all of those wins were on the road. It has been predicted that they could be seeded as high as 9th come the Madness in March.

My hat is off to the men of the Cornell basketball team. After crushing Harvard last weekend, and getting ready to face Brown and Yale this weekend, they are bringing some real pride to this campus.

LET’S GO RED