Margaret Ross-Martin, M.R.P. ’19

Name: Margaret Ross-Martin     Program: Regional Planning, ’19

Undergrad: Whitman College    Major/Minor: Politics and Studio Art / Art History

Hometown: San Antonio, Texas

What inspired you to get into the field of urban planning?

I love that planning is an interdisciplinary field. I have classmates with diverse interests that range from transportation to housing to economic development. This is what makes planning so dynamic—we can better understand and shape the built environment when we consider its various elements in relation to one another.

What made you decide on choosing Cornell’s program?

I chose Cornell for many reasons. I liked that the MRP curriculum is both rigorous and flexible, and allows me to take advantage of other departments and resources on campus. I was also drawn to CRP’s social justice orientation, and low tuition relative to the other programs that I was considering.

What has been your favorite class/professor/experience in the program so far?

I can’t choose just one! I’m taking two core classes: History and Theory of Urban Spatial Development and Planning Practice and History. They are both wonderful. I’m also in a landscape architecture studio and a seminar called Structural Barriers to Equity in Planning, which I believe should be required of all planning students.

What is your favorite thing about Ithaca? 

Such a cliché, but the fall colors are truly a sight to behold!

What are your career ambitions after Cornell?

Ultimately, I plan to return to the Gulf Coast to help shape and implement climate change adaptation policy.

Key Interests: Coastal Resiliency, Climate Adaptation, Built Environment

Sample Work:

Following one of the worst hurricane seasons on record, post-Katrina New Orleans offers lessons on race and recovery