Beth Burns, H.P.P. ’19

Name: Beth Burns     Program: Historic Preservation, ’19

Undergrad: College of Charleston     Major/Minor: Historic Preservation / Community Planning & Art History

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

What inspired you to get into the field of historic preservation?

I fell into the field when I ended up at school in Charleston. I had intended to focus mainly on Art History but that turned to Architecture History which slowly gave way to Historic Preservation & Community Planning and from there I was hooked. It encompassed everything I liked, between buildings, streets and art. Architecture is the one art that defines everyone in some way and the way buildings exist in relation to people has always intrigued me.

What made you decide on choosing Cornell’s program?

I can’t say I would have come here had I not visited the open house. I had my reservations, what with it being in a small town in the middle of nowhere New York, and I had been especially spoiled by the rich urban fabric and preservation focus of Charleston. What sold me was the “any person, any subject” concept that was so heavily pushed by the University and the Department. I had no desire to have someone else pick my classes, I figured at this point I’m old enough to know what I like and I want to take what applies to my interests.

What has been your favorite class/professor/experience in the program so far?

I really enjoy my Documentation for Preservation class with Michael Tomlan. During one of the classes we were given images of a structure that had been added to over time and from those we determined the building campaigns and periods of construction. I kind of felt like a building detective, not going to lie.

What is your favorite thing about Ithaca?

I’m partial to all the hiking opportunities that exist so close by. I never really feel like I have time to be bored (as if that’s really a possibility with grad school).

What are your career ambitions after Cornell?

Well, in all honesty, I haven’t thought that far ahead (read: I have no idea). One day down the line, I would like to end up back in Charleston at the College but until then I want to experience preservation in as many forms, in as many places, in as many ways as I can.