Cornell Maple Program Fall Open House at the Arnot Forest Sugarbush
10 am to 4 pm Saturday October 7TH
611 County Rt 13 | Van Etten, NY
MAPLE SYRUP AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE!
The Cornell Maple Program (CMP) is a part of the Department of Natural Resources at Cornell University with the mission of supporting the NY maple products industry through research and extension. In the spring of 2016 the CMP assumed management of the Arnot Forest sugarbush. Formerly a limited production, 2,500 tap maple operation, the Arnot has undergone extensive upgrades and now serves as one of two research facilities operated by CMP staff. Currently 6,000 taps in size, the Arnot now plays host to cutting edge maple technologies and research activities. On October 7th, maple program researchers and extension agents will open the Arnot to the public and share information on traditional techniques, modern methods and current areas of research.
- Sugarhouse tour and evaporator demonstration
- A self-guided nature walk and foliage tour along scenic Banfield Creek
- Maple candy and cream making demonstrations and samples
- Displays of current research projects
- Maple syrup and maple ice cream sales
This event will be held at the Arnot Forest sugarhouse on Banfield Rd approximately 1/2 mile from the intersection of County Route 13 in Van Etten, NY. Banfield road is a single lane, unsurfaced road so please drive slow and use caution.
**Please do not enter the uphill driveway to the Arnot Lodge and field campus. This facility has been leased to a third party and is no longer open to the public**
Directions from Ithaca: Take NY 13 south toward Horseheads. Turn left onto NY 224 east in Alpine Junction. After 7.3 miles turn left on to county route 13. In 1.4 miles turn left on Banfield Rd (look for the sugarhouse sign). Travel approximately 0.5 miles and the sugarhouse is on your right.
Directions from Horseheads and Corning: Take interstate 86 east toward Elmira. Take exit 54 for NY 13 north and continue for 23.7 miles. At the traffic light in Alpine Junction, turn right on to NY 224 east. After 7.3 miles turn left on to county route 13. In 1.4 miles turn left on Banfield Rd (look for the sugarhouse sign). Travel approximately 0.5 miles and the sugarhouse is on your right.
Parking is available in several small areas along Banfield Road and one parking lot at the sugarhouse. These areas will be marked with signage. Please follow the signs and do not park on the shoulder of Banfield Road – it is too narrow to accomodate roadside parking. Be aware that space is limited.
- When walking along Banfield Creek, avoid walking through brush and high weeds. Ticks may still be active at this time of year.
- Please do not travel off the designated route or disturb vegetation in any way. The Arnot is an active research forest with many studies underway.
- The Arnot is a rugged, undeveloped forested environment. Insect bites, mud, and uneven footing are possible hazards when walking in the forest.
***Cell phone reception is limited or non-existent in much of the Arnot Forest***
Questions can be directed to maple program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org