We stuffed ourselves more than we stuffed the ravioli

Once again we had a wonderful Italian dinner coordinated by the wonderful Anna Rita Flati. This time it was ravioli and fettucini, and similar to gnocchi night we came out completely stuffed. I learned from the afternoon that making ravioli is quite a process. First you have to make the dough, then you have to keep adding flour to it so it looses its stickiness, then you put it through a machine to flatten the dough into flat long and wide slices that you use to put the filling in. After you put the filling in you cut it with a special tool to make the ravioli shape. We kept repeating the process until we had an entire table full of ravioli. With fettucini it was a bit easier. We made the dough, then we got it to the right consistency, and then we put it through to cut the dough into long strands of fettucini noodles. Some of us also made a batch of gluten free fettucini and ravioli noodles from scratch.

Making the ravioli dough
Making the ravioli
Making the gluten free pasta
Our collection of ravioli and fettucini made from scratch

That was only the preparation, then it was on to what we all came for: the huge meal. To start off we ate appetizers of egg omelettes, cured salmon, and a delicious nut bread. We then had about 7 different types of sauces with our 7 family-sized batches of ravioli and fettucini. Some sauces had meats, others were only vegetables, and some were creamy sauces. My favorite was definitely the salmon one. As I mentioned before we finished up completely stuffed. Then dessert comes out, and somehow we always find a little bit more room in our stomachs.

Students eagerly waiting to start on the antipasti

Published by:

Elliot Sperling

Ciao! I am a Junior in Urban and Regional Studies at Cornell University. This spring semester I am studying in Rome as part of the Cornell in Rome program. It will be my second semester abroad in Europe after my previous studies in Stockholm, Sweden this autumn. I am very excited to be here and share my experiences with you.

Categories UncategorizedLeave a comment