[Internship] Student Interview 2: Christina Chaplin, Cornell University ’12

Ms.Christina Chaplin Christina Chaplin is a Fine Arts student at Cornell University, class of 2012. Her concentration is photography and painting.

Can you give us a brief description of the organization that you are working for?

Sala 1 (Sala Uno) is a small exhibition gallery in neighborhood of San Giovanni, just south of central Rome. The space is owned by curator Mary Angela Schroth. Sala 1 is a non-profit art organization that holds artistic exhibitions without intent to sell.

What are your responsibilities?

Interior of Sala 1. Photo Credit: Christina Chaplin

I am working on two specific projects. The first one is for the press office of the Iraq Pavillion at the Venice Biennale. I do lots of translations from Italian to English: press releases, reception invitations, and  grant applications. I am also working for the “Save the Stairs” project, a fundraising project for restoration of the Scala Sancta. We are trying to restore the frescoes of an important religious pilgrimage site.

Could you explain more about Venice Biennale?

The Venice Biennale, now in its 54th edition, is one of the most important contemporary art fairs in the world. It takes place from June 4th until mid November. The biennale is a great chance for upcoming and established artists to display their work. I am going to stay in Italy for 2 weeks after school is out to attend the official press opening and setup for the Biennale.

What have you learned? Have you had any difficulties?

The internship has been a good experience in learning how to deal with responsibilities. Difficulties have been the interaction with people in the workspace due to language barriers and the technical difficulties of the space–which is quite typical of non-profit organizations.

What is your time commitment?

10 hours a week. I spend up to 5 hours outside of the gallery.

How has this experience influenced you and your future plans?

Now I understand in more detail the different aspects of gallery ownership and exhibition spaces on a technical level, which could potentially influence me when curating my own show.

What is your favorite aspect of the internship?

Interacting with the artists that exhibit in the space or work for the Venice Biennale.

– Sunny Kim