Student Internship Interview: Susan Yue, Brown University ’12

Susan Yue

Susan Yue is an exchange student from Brown University, class of 2012, majoring in visual arts, public policy and education.

1. Can you give us a brief description of the organization you are working for?

It’s called Fondazione Pastificio Cerere. A literal translation would be “Foundation of the Cerere Pasta Factory” (Cerere is the goddess of wheat). Located in the neighborhood of San Lorenzo, it is one of the few non-profit contemporary art organizations in Rome that provide artist studio residencies for established and emerging artists. The organization was initiated by Gruppo San Lorenzo, an artist’s group constituted by Roman artists such as Giuseppe Gallo and Marco Torelli. In the 1970s they transformed the original pasta factory into art spaces, and the place was revitalized in 2004 with new artists. The foundation awards young artists grants for one year of free residency and an opportunity to be exhibited in the MACRO museum of contemporary art.

2. What are your responsibilities?

I’m a cultural translator working for the Executive Director and his assistants. I make frequent studio visits and talk with the artists. I also give tours to visitors. Currently I am working on developing a press release (booklets) for American audiences.

3. What is your time commitment for the internship?

It takes me about 45 minutes each way to reach the Fondazione, and I go there twice a week. Work hours depend on how long they need me.

4. What have you learned from the internship? Any difficulties?

The biggest difficulty would be the language barrier. Still, the foundation has provided me with a glimpse into the contemporary art scene in Rome, which has quite a bit of entrepreneurial aspects to it; the foundation itself has some pro-profit mechanisms. The organization revitalizes the cultural space in San Lorenzo and attracts attention of young and educated people near the university area.

5. What is your favorite aspect of your internship?

I enjoy meeting the artists a lot; they are an eclectic group of people creating very different kinds of art. Giving tours to curators and introducing new artists to the curators is an enjoyable experience as well. It was meaningful to see how such an international art residency could enrich and help the community and create strong bonds.

– Sunny Kim