CCTC Research Assistant Profile: Amanda Dubin

The Cornell Costume & Textile Collection (CCTC) provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to be employed as research assistants, which allows them to contribute to the collection in many ways: they conduct original research, curate exhibitions, catalogue and accession new donations, assist with photography, database management, and conservation, provide social media content, help to arrange displays for class visits, and give tours.  Our undergraduates are the lifeblood of our collection!  We’ll be interviewing our undergraduates over the next few weeks and posting the profiles here on the blog.
Today, we’re pleased to introduce Amanda Dubin ’18, a senior who is majoring in Fashion Design Management.

When did you begin working in the collection and what inspired you to join the Cornell Costume & Textile Collection (CCTC)?

I began working in the collection during my freshman year after taking Art, Design, and Visual Thinking with Professor Green. In that class, we were exposed to many pieces in the collection and I was inspired to join the CCTC to learn more and become more involved on campus and in the College of Human Ecology.

Eleanor Roosevelt walks down the runway in her inaugural ball gown during Farm & Home Week in 1937. She later donated the dress to the Cornell Costume and Textile Collection (#915).

What is your favorite piece in the CCTC and why?

My favorite piece in the CCTC is definitely Eleanor Roosevelt’s inaugural ball gown. During my early days working in the collection I was shocked to learn we had a piece with such historical significance in our collection. This inspired me to learn more about it, which culminated in an article for the CCTC blog.

Share one surprising thing you’ve learned while working in the collection:

I was surprised to see the lengths that some women went to to achieve an ideal body standard during a particular time.

Amanda arranges examples of silk screen printed textiles for a class visit.

What are your career goals?  How do you imagine working in the CCTC will help you to realize these goals?

Next fall, I will begin working for the Estée Lauder Companies in their Presidential Associates Program. Working in the CCTC has taught me to give great attention to detail and has stressed the importance of doing diligent research.

If you were to donate one item from your personal wardrobe to the collection, what would it be and why?

If I were to donate one item from my personal wardrobe to the collection, it would be my Bat Mitzvah gown. I have always loved exploring the various religious garb that we have the CCTC and I would love to contribute my gown to help that area of the collection grow.

What is missing from the CCTC? What garment, textile, or accessory do you think we should have, but don’t?

The CCTC is missing a Canada Goose winter coat. This is an important piece that captures student life and style at Cornell at this time and would be a significant addition to the collection.

Amanda assists with the installation of “The Biggest Little Fashion City: Ithaca & Silent Film Style” in 2016.

Amanda models Romeo Gigli trousers paired with an Oleg Cassini silk brocade blouse for the CCTC “Fashion for a Cause” fundraiser fashion show in New York City.

What has been your most meaningful experience in the CCTC?  

My most meaningful experience working in the CCTC was participating in the fashion show in NYC. It was such a privilege to be able to walk alongside Cornell Alumni who share similar passions and connect with a larger Cornell network.

What is your hope for the future of the CCTC?

My hope is that the CCTC will continue to grow and that many future students will have the same opportunity to work in the CCTC that I did.

Amanda and her mother, Victoria Dubin ’82 at the CCTC fashion show in NYC.