jump to navigation

Final Paper Thoughts November 9, 2009

Posted by bsf22 in : Uncategorized , trackback

I’ve begun to think about my final paper and think I’m going to primarily focus on Mashup music. However, I just recently caught the Mashup video that played before Phish’s Halloween set at their recent Festival show. I’ve posted the link here: http://www.livemusicblog.com/2009/10/31/phish-festival8-album-mash-up-video-eclectic-method-halloween-set/. I never realized that in my fascination with Mashup music, that there may be other forms of Mashups such as video Mashup and collage. The group that made the video, Eclectic Method, is a really cool group that mixes not only music and music videos, but they also mix pop culture video such as Youtube and movies into their work. Check out http://vimeo.com/7147850 for their take on what they do as artists. I think for the scope of my paper, I’ll focus on music, but I thought it was important to note that music isn’t the only medium that is dealing with a revolutionary change in how it is presented and edited.

I believe that one of the reasons why Mashups are so popular is because of the nostalgic value. When a listener hears a new song on the radio, they may be interested in the beat, or the lyrics, but when a listener hears a song that they know on the radio, they might think back to another time when they heard that song, or feel joy that they can sing along to the words. When two tracks are mixed, a listener can hear both a “new” song, and feel the familiarity of the two “old” tracks. I’m not quite sure how I would address nostalgia in my paper, but I think it is an important part of the popularity of Mashups. I did some quick searching for nostalgia, but could only find a medical description from the 1800’s and countless websites dedicated to different eras of music.

Feel free to let me know what your ideas are about Mashups or about how nostalgia may play into the enjoyment of the medium!

Comments»

no comments yet - be the first?

Class Blog: Copyright in the Digital Age 09