Community ESL at Cornell is a program organized by local community volunteers and sponsored by the Residential and New Students Program (RNSP).
English conversation classes are offered for spouses and partners of international students and for visiting scholars.
These adult classes are taught by dedicated local community members who help newcomers gain confidence in English, introduce them to local customs and provide opportunities to make new friends.
Online registration for classes takes place at the start of fall and spring semesters at Cornell.
In-person registration for Fall 2019 classes will be August 24 2019, 10am-noon, Hasbrouck Community Center.
Intermediate and advanced level classes are offered and meet for 2 hours per week. Individuals who will not be in Ithaca for the start of classes, or anyone with questions should contact:
Fall 2019 Class registration is closed as of Sept 1. For questions on Fall 2019 classes, please contact either of the two emails above.
Register for FALL 2019 ESL classes using the following link – Aug 12-Sept 1 2019:
We are looking for local community volunteers to teach, co-teach or assist with ESL classes. ESL teaching background is not required; if you are good at organizing communication activities and leading small groups in conversation, you could lead an ESL conversation class. Please tell your friends about this opportunity, and contact us at the email above if you would like more information.
Other ESL Opportunities in Ithaca:
- English for International Students and Scholars (EISS) – Academic year: English classes once a week for visiting scholars and/or spouses. There is a fee and it’s a non-credit class: https://sce.cornell.edu/professional/program/eiss
Summer session: Full-time English Instruction for 6 weeks (must have high school diploma and be over 18 years of age): https://sce.cornell.edu/professional/program/eiss-summer
- Free Tompkins County Library-sponsored “Talk Time” classes: The Talk Time program will take place every Wednesday at 3:45pm in the Tompkins County Library’s Tompkins Trust Study Room. ESL Talk Time is more focused on socializing and giving participants a chance to practice speaking English with each other in a casual environment. See more info in this flyer or at the library events calendar here.
- Open Doors English: The Julie Rudd Coulombe Language Program – Starts Sept 9th. Mon-Thurs, 9:30-11:30am and 12:30-2:30pm and 6-8pm Tues/Thurs. Anyone is eligible. There is a “sliding scale” fee. Beginner to Advanced English classes taught by experienced teachers, including all skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking, pronunciation, and grammar), and providing a strong sense of school community. Classes are daily on the 3rd floor of the First Presbyterian Church, downtown Ithaca. For more information, see: Open Doors English website, or call 607-319-5051 or email hboyer.ode at gmail.com to set up an appointment or register.
- TST BOCES ESL – Free English classes offered to individuals living in the Ithaca area and who want to learn English for work, training and higher education. Classes meet all year Monday-Friday and are located on the 3rd Floor of Tioga Place, 118 N. Tioga Street in downtown Ithaca. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 607-273-4095 for more information.
- Free Advanced ESL classes at Lifelong Community Center: