Community ESL at Cornell is a program organized by local community volunteers and sponsored by the Residential and New Students Program (RNSP).
Conversation classes are offered for spouses and partners of international students and for visiting scholars.
These adult classes are taught by dedicated local community members who help newcomers gain confidence in English, introduce them to local customs and provide opportunities to make new friends.
Online registration for classes takes place at the start of fall and spring semester at Cornell. Middle and advanced level classes are offered and meet for 2 hours per week. Individuals who will not be in Ithaca for the start of classes, or anyone with questions should contact:
Class registration is now closed for Spring 2019. If you are interested in attending Spring 2019 classes, please use contact emails above.
Register for SPRING 2019 ESL classes using the following link:
We are looking for local community volunteers to teach, co-teach or assist with ESL classes. ESL teaching background is not required; if you are good at organizing communication activities and leading small groups in conversation, you could lead an ESL conversation class. Please tell your friends about this opportunity, and contact us at the email above if you would like more information.
Other ESL Opportunities in Ithaca:
- Free Tompkins County Library-sponsored “Talk Time” classes: The Talk Time program will take place every Wednesday at 3:45pm in the Tompkins County Library’s Tompkins Trust Study Room from February 13th to March 27th. ESL Talk Time is more focused on socializing and giving participants a chance to practice speaking English with each other in a casual environment. See more info in this flyer.
- BOCES ESL – BOCES offers ESL classes at all levels to individuals living in the Ithaca area week days. Both daytime and evening classes are available; instruction is free but there is a registration fee per semester.
- Free Advanced ESL classes at Tompkins County Library – sponsored by BOCES:
- STARTING FEBRUARY 1, 2019, ADVANCED English as a Second Language – conversation, idioms, pronunciation, American history and culture. Small classes, no texts to buy but will be a structured class.
- Advanced ESL– Fridays, 1-3 pm, February 1 – April 19 (no classes Feb 22, March 29 and April 5). Classes meet at Tompkins County Public Library in the Tompkins County Trust Study Room. Information at 607-273-1511.