Antibiotic resistance

Excellent article in the NYT looking at the enormous and ever increasing global threat of antibiotic resistance.

Below is a graphic from the 2013 CDC report on the three organisms whose antibiotic resistance is designated at an urgent threat level in the US; Clostridium difficile, carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae and drug-resistant Neiserra gonerrhoeae.

threat level urgent

2 Responses to “ Antibiotic resistance ”

• Dr. Adesoji Timi

Dear Dr. Collins,
    I am a Phd holder from the below address who researches and teaches at one of the youngest Universities in Nigeria. My area of research since I bagged my Phd in 2014 is on epidemiology of antibiotic resistance bacteria and genes from drinking water. From my online search, I observed you have done a lot of work in this area. And is even the focus of your research group. I therefore decided to seek you permission in hosting me in your lab as a post doctoral fellow. I am presently interested in whole genome sequencing comparison between antibiotic resistance genes of bacteria from environment, agricultural/food products (food borne pathogens) and clinical sources in Nigeria or epidemiology of MRSA from Nigeria. This will be of great international collaboration to you and your center. In-fact, we can even compare it with strains you have been working with in your lab. I was in Call lab at, Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health, Washington State University, USA for six month during my Phd as a visiting research scholar, there I was able to gain a lot of international experience into research into molecular characterization of antibiotic resistance bacteria using different techniques.
    I will send my proposal and CV if you agree to host me in your lab. I am pretty sure the proposal will interest you. I will be glad if my request is granted.
    Thanks.

• Praca Londyn

Governments should take this health timebomb more seriously before it is too late. More public investment in this area and less reliance on commercial entities to come up with new options – they only follow profits not “saving mankind” at any cost. Praca Londyn