CornellNYC

Get Ready for Homecoming 2011

July 25, 2011 · No Comments · Uncategorized

I know it’s still a long way off, but when a friend of mine told me he’d be crashing on my couch from September 16 through the 18th, it got me excited for Cornell Homecoming Weekend. Then today at lunch, my boss (and fellow Cornellian) brought up the subject again and we chatted about how fun it is when everybody heads back to the Hill to visit for those two precious days.
This Homecoming Weekend (a week earlier than last year), they’re planning to mix things up a bit. If my calculations are correct, the Big Red will debut a brand new, video score board at Schoellkopf Field at the 6pm homecoming football game vs. Bucknell. Yes, game time has been pushed back this year. Probably so they can show off the new score board in the dark, but more likely because most people are simply not done with their tailgating at 12pm.
The morning tailgate is one of the best parts of Homecoming Weekend. I can’t wait for the mass of burnt hamburgers and light beer in red Solo cups: it really brings me back (almost 3 months) to my undergraduate days. Even better than the endless food and beer is the mass of people that travel back to Ithaca to re-live their college years with the current student body. Either way, you always run into an old friend, and Palms o’Clock officially shifts twelve hours ahead to 12:30PM.
Homecoming is essentially Cornell’s fall Slope Day, and I have a feeling that this will be a good one. With thousands of students filling the stadium for the first (and last) time all season, maybe the rain will hold off and the Big Red will walk away with a win. Maybe.
So how can we hold off until September 17th? Take advantage of some of NYC’s finer outdoor establishments while there’s still some time left this summer. Spend an afternoon at one of the various beer gardens around the city (I’m trying out Beekman Beach Club at South Street Seaport this weekend). Gather up a crew of Cornellians — there are certainly plenty of us in New York — and plan your trips back to Ithaca for Homecoming Weekend 2011.

I know it’s still a long way off, but when a friend of mine told me he’d be crashing on my couch from September 16 through the 18th, it got me excited for Cornell Homecoming Weekend. Then today at lunch, my boss (and fellow Cornellian) brought up the subject again and we chatted about how great it is when everybody heads back to the Hill to visit for those two precious days.

Homecoming 2010 Slideshow

Homecoming 2010 Slideshow

Tags:·····

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.