CornellNYC

A Day in the Life: A Recent Cornell Grad’s First Month in NYC

July 19, 2011 · No Comments · Uncategorized

I was skeptical to work in New York this summer. I’m from the suburbs of Massachusetts, and the previous times I visited NYC, I hated it. I always left here congested, stressed, and sweaty. However, after my first few days actually living here, New York grew on me.
Now I have no problems falling asleep with the sounds of the street outside my window, or making my way through the crowded subway on my commute to work, or even tracking down and meeting up with friends in the 300 square miles that is New York City (compare that to all your Cornell friends living within 300 yards of Collegetown Bagels in Ithaca).

Life in New York is exciting, and it’s a great place to be a Cornellian (something like 30,000 of us in the greater metro area: crazy). Here’s a typical day for me, a Cornell Engineering grad and an intern at a tech startup in SoHo:

• 8:46 – Alarm goes off: snooze. Several times. And that’s a phone alarm and an alarm clock.
  • 9:01 – Actually get out of bed, shower and get ready for work. Getting dressed means throwing on shorts, a t-shirt, and some fresh white sneaks. Working at a SoHo startup means it’s casual, but you still have to look stylish.
  • 9:27 – Hit the road. Walk a few blocks, and take the N-R train to Prince St.
  • 9:55 – Stroll into the office, three floors below to the Onion News Network. Turn on my 26″ iMac, and plop down into my therapy ball chair.
  • 10:00 – Work day “officially” starts. Lots of collaborative brainstorming, writing on the walls with dry erase markers, and Google Apps usage.
  • 10:33 – Missed breakfast, so head to the kitchen and grab a Clif bar and refill my Klean Kanteen water bottle (green is good).
  • 12:30 – Lunch time. Today is the monthly “State of the Union” meeting. Everyone takes a couple minutes to explain their work progress over the past few weeks and announce any exciting developments.
  • 1:30 – Back to work.
  • 3:35 – Hummus party at the Design Team desks. Two bags of pita chips and a whole tub of hummus are devoured by some of the team in under 10 minutes.
  • 5:00 – Feature prioritization meeting. It’s all very technical: you wouldn’t understand…
  • 7:04 – End of the day for me. Most developers stay later: there’s always more coding to do.
  • 7:32 – Meet up with a few Cornellians in Union Square for a drink and some dinner — starving by this time.
  • 8:49 – More friends from The Hill show up. That’s +4 points on Foursquare.
  • 10:54 – Stumble back to the subway and head home.
  • 11:37 – Get ready to go to sleep. Watch Colbert on Hulu instead.
  • 12:22 – Shoot some emails. Peruse Facebook. Work on my personal website.
  • 1:40 – Bed time.

Tags:····

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.