CIPA Grad profile: James Hibbard

In this post, we hear from James Hibbard, CIPA Fellow Class of 2016. James, who now works for Deloitte in New York as a Tax Consultant, reflects on his concentration in Economic & Financial Policy, his decision to attend CIPA, and his long term goals.

Are there any particular “stand out” experiences at CIPA that made a lasting impact on you?

While at CIPA, I was fortunate enough to have a range of opportunities, which included being a teaching assistant, working for the Einaudi Center for International Studies, writing blogs on behalf of CIPA, being an admissions ambassador, and interning in New York City – but one of the most ‘stand-out’ experiences was competing in a National Public Policy Challenge. I was part of a CIPA team that addressed a local policy issue in Ithaca. We shared our findings and proposed policy solution to a panel of judges, while competing against other top MPA programs from across the country.

What would you tell a prospective student who asked you to list the top three reasons that CIPA was a good fit for you?

There were three major reasons I felt that CIPA was a good fit: the program flexibility, the experiential learning opportunities, and the sense of community and support network. Firstly, CIPA allows you to design your own curriculum and leverage all of the academic resources that Cornell has to offer. Indeed, CIPA Fellows take courses relevant to their concentration in departments across the academic spectrum. Secondly, there is a strong focus here on hands on learning. This includes internships, externships, and SMART trips abroad during winter break. Lastly (and equally as important), the staff here is truly personal and will provide students with the attention and resources needed to excel. Naturally, all of these factors led me to Cornell and CIPA. 

How would you describe the sense of community you find at CIPA?  How did that figure into your experience of the last two years?  How do you see it figuring into your future experiences?

The community at CIPA is one of its biggest strengths. Fellows come from an array of backgrounds in terms of geography and experience. The opportunity to connect and work on projects with someone who has an entirely different perspective allows you to challenge your assumptions and consider new ways of thinking. Moving forward, I know that I will have colleagues all over the globe working for a number of renowned institutions. My experience as a member of the CIPA community has expanded my thinking and my network beyond what I had anticipated. 

What are your long-term career goals?  How did CIPA help prepare you for these?

My long-term goal is to work on policy that is focused around economic development, leveraging both public and private sector institutions, to create job growth and investments that benefits all members of our communities.

At CIPA, one of the three options for your final graduate project is completing a Capstone. Can you explain how the Capstone played in your educational experience at CIPA, what were some of the take-aways?

For my capstone, I worked with a number of CIPA fellows and the team I had interned with at Deloitte. It allowed me to bridge what I had learned in the classroom, with what I will be doing as a professional. 

Is there anything else about the CIPA program, about the opportunities here, or about your particular experience that you would like to share with prospective students?

There are a lot of opportunities here, which can feel overwhelming at first. You’ll be able to make the most of your time here by being engaged and active, and by challenging yourself – not only academically, but professionally