Meet the Faculty: Joe Grasso

This week in “Meet the Faculty” we have Joe Grasso, who teaches courses on nonprofit finance, fundraising, and socially responsible business.

CIPA’s world-class faculty from diverse backgrounds and sectors will help you to build a strong knowledge base and to hone valuable skills for your future career in public affairs. This week in our “Meet the Faculty” series, we have Joe Grasso from the School of Industrial and Labor Relations to answer some questions about CIPA, his courses, and how to make the most of your MPA and your time in Ithaca.

1.     Why should students attend CIPA -vs- another graduate policy program?

CIPA is a great program for both students who have a strong sense of what they want to accomplish in their MPA program and for those who are a little less clear about their academic path.  For those who have a strong sense of where they want to concentrate their efforts academically, CIPA and Cornell provide broad and deep access to courses in nearly all of our colleges and schools at Cornell.  For example, if you are a financially-oriented person who might want to do bond ratings for a rating agency, you could enroll in CIPA and the MPA degree to achieve a strong grounding in public administration but then enroll in certain finance courses in the College of Business to strengthen your financial skills.  On the other hand, if you are not as directed in your academic path, CIPA provides the flexibility for you to explore a number of different fields of study and concentrations which can help you to focus your career and academic goals.  Most MPA programs don’t provide both this level of flexibility and the opportunity to concentrate deeply in one area.

1.     What do you enjoy most about teaching at CIPA?

I love teaching fellows in the CIPA program because they come to Cornell with a passion for public administration and public affairs.  The students are intellectually curious, passionate, hardworking, and friendly.  Importantly, the diversity of the fellows is amazing not only professionally, but from a cultural perspective as well.  It is a very welcoming place, both academically and socially.

1.     Briefly describe your research and teaching interests.

My teaching focuses on nonprofit finance and management along with fundraising and socially responsible business.  I have spent my 30-year career in a combination of private sector, public sector, and nonprofit institutions, and I use this blended experience to provide the CIPA fellows with pragmatic knowledge and skills that they can use to sharpen their professional skills and to be competent and effective in the next stage of their careers.

1.     What specific course(s) do you teach for CIPA students?  What skills do students take away from your course(s)?

I teach NonProfit Finance and Management, Fundraising, and Socially Responsible Business.  In each of my courses, I want the students to come away confident that they can step into a professional nonprofit position and have a sound knowledge of nonprofit finance, management, and leadership techniques.  I am not necessarily training them to be specialists in finance, but rather how to use and interpret financial information and to make sound decisions.  I also want them to know how to work with a board of directors, how to assess risk, and how to develop partnerships with other organizations.  Fundraising is also a critical part of being a nonprofit leader, and this course provides an overview of the field from how to make individual and major gift solicitations to creating and managing a capital campaign.  Finally, in Socially Responsible Business, I teach students how nonprofits can work with businesses in creative ways to achieve positive outcomes that can benefit communities.      

1.     What advice do you have for students who want to make the most of their two years here?

As you enter CIPA, it is important for you to carefully plan your academic program.  The more you understand what your objectives are coming into this program, the better you are able to take advantage of Cornell’s wide array of offerings.  Also, it is important for you to get to know your professors, to visit them during office hours, and to let them know of your interests.  We are here to help you not only academically, but also professionally.  My other piece of advice is to get to know your classmates in CIPA and to build and nurture those relationships, not just while here at Cornell but in the years following.  CIPA is not just an academic program, but a community, and to keep that community strong, we all have to contribute to it.

1.     Where are you originally from?  How long have you lived in Ithaca?

I grew up in the Syracuse area, but I have worked for nearly 10 years in State government in Albany, and then worked in Virginia in higher education before returning to the Finger Lakes Region to work at Cornell.  I received my master’s degree from the ILR School, and I am pleased to be back at Cornell and in Ithaca.

1.     What’s your favorite Ithaca restaurant and why?

The Rongovian Embassy in Trumansburg is my favorite place – good food, good bands, good times.

1.     What one fun activity would you consider a “must-do” for students during their tenure here, in order to  get the full Ithaca experience?  Why?

Treman State Park is a “must do” hike during an autumn day when you can feel the changes in air temperature as you hike up and down the trail.  It’s the best!