The Cornell Institute for Biology teachers (CIBT) has offered high quality teacher professional development to science teachers of all levels since 1990. Teachers who have attended one of our summer workshops or our January workshop for new and pre-service teachers are eligible for the following benefits.
- Return-to-Campus Events—Twice a year, teachers are invited to attend a full day Saturday workshop held on the Ithaca campus. The program includes talks by Cornell scientists and workshops given by CIBT alums and staff on classroom ready labs and activities. Teachers have time to talk with colleagues and enjoy campus. The day ends with a giveaway of lab equipment, supplies and books.
- Regional Workshops—We offer specialized one or two-day workshops at different locations in New York State. These workshops focus on science topics or on equipment available from the lending library. Have an idea for a workshop that you would like to help us organize? Call or email us!
- Lending Library—CIBT maintains an extensive lending library of kits and models for all age groups, including DNA and Protein Gel Electrophoresis. Our science kits offer students the opportunity to employ the same techniques and equipment used by scientists. The complete list of kits can be downloaded from the CIBT web page.
- Special Topics Workshop—Alumni may return to the Cornell campus in the summer to attend a special topics workshop. Working with Cornell faculty and cutting-edge scientists, alumni will learn new labs and technologies that can be implemented in their classroom. Recently the workshops have included opportunities for activity development for teachers.
- Student Visits to Cornell—Periodically, CIBT offers opportunities for alumni to bring their students to Cornell University and participate in some exciting science activities.
- Email Notification of Exciting Events—We keep you informed of upcoming activities throughout New York State involving many outreach opportunities.