Join Kirk and Kathie Arnold at Twin Oaks Dairy on August 14th from 10:00-2:00 and learn about alternative summer forages, mixed intercropping, interseeding into corn, and double cropping with triticale and sorghum sudangrass. Cornell researchers will discuss improving soil health and other ways farmers can build resilience to extreme weather events. The NY Soil Health Trailer will also be on-site with demonstrations to show participants how healthy soil compares to degraded soil. (Lunch included, please register here: https://nofany.secure.nonprofitsoapbox.com/fielddays). Twin Oaks Dairy, 3185 NY-13, Truxton, NY 13158.
- 10:00 to 10:15 – Opening remarks (Kirk Arnold, Fay Benson, and Robert)
- 10:15 to 10:30 – Forge Intercropping for Resilience (Ann Bybee-Finley and Dr. Matt Ryan)
- 10:30 to 11:15 – Demonstration trial of alternative summer annual forages (Ann, Matt, Fay, Kirk, and Rod Porter)
- 11:15 to 12:00 – Farmer panel about adapting to extreme weather
- 12:00 to 1:00 – Lunch
- 1:00 to 1:30 – Soil health demo (Fay and Joseph Amsili)
- 1:30 to 1:45 – Industry insights (Rod)
- 1:45 to 2:00 – Crop insurance (Fay) and tour of Buckwheat field
Pre-registration for the field day will close two days before the event, but walk-ins are always welcome. For more information, please contact Fay Benson, firstname.lastname@example.org.