This certification allows youth 14 and 15 years of age to legally operate farm equipment for hire. After completing the training course, youth will be required to pass a written knowledge test and driving test to receive the certification.
This National Safe Tractor Training Program enables young workers (ages 14-19) to obtain a US Department of Labor Certificate of Training Certification which is required to operate farm tractors and equipment. The program includes training on farm safety, tractor safety, tractor operation and other related topics.
The course is open to anyone 13 years of age and older, however, only those 14 and older will be able to drive and become certified. Participants learn important safety skills and gain an advantage when seeking employment at a lawn or landscaping business, golf course or farm.
The cost of this course is $45 per student and includes a copy of the student manual.
It is held at the Cooperative Extension Office, 248 Grant Ave, Auburn, NY with additional visits to area machinery and equipment dealers, local farms and Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES.
Parents and family members are welcome to attend the first session. An interactive presentation by New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health will be given.
In order to satisfactorily complete this course and receive the appropriate certification, you must:
- Pre-register and pay the appropriate fee. Attend scheduled classes and actively participate. Attendance will be recorded.
- On-line registration: Tractor Registration
- Signed Acknowledgement of Risk Form available here
- Reading assignments in the manual as the course progresses, weekly quizzes.
- Complete the final practical driving exam.
- Pass the written final exam with a 70% grade. Please let one of the instructors know if you need any assistance testing. Readers and/or special arrangements can be made.
- Portions of the sessions may be located in unheated facilities or outdoors, please dress according to the weather. Proper footwear is required for all sessions.
New for 2020:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Tractor Safety course has gone virtual. Please use the following videos and materials to prepare for the written exam. Once programming resumes, we will continue the training with field trips and the written and driving exam.
Please watch the video and take the quiz for each section. There are additional videos on Tractor Safety that are optional to watch. Please send the completed quizzes to the CCE office at:
248 Grant Ave.
Auburn, NY 13021
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any Questions: Call Erin Humphrey at (315) 255-1183, ext 232 or email email@example.com
Please click the link below to start the quizzes