March 2019: Upcoming Events
DOG OBEDIENCE REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
March 10, 2019 – District Dairy Bowl Event
- Where: Mid Lakes Jr/Sr High School, 1554 Rt 488, Phelps, NY 14432
March 16, 2019 – A Tack Sale will take place at the Ward O’Hara Agricultural Museum, so come on out and get rid of your unwanted and excess horse gear! All proceeds will benefit Cayuga County 4-H and the Rising Stars 4-H club.
- Where: Ward O’Hara Agricultural Museum (6880 East Leak Rd, Auburn, NY 13021)
- When: 10am-2pm
- Cost: Table rentals are $20/apiece, free to attend
- Who: Open to the public and any interested 4-H members!
- How: Contact Vina Cuddeback at 315-406-7205 to rent a table or for more information
March 4, 11, 18, 25 – April 1 & 6, 2019 – Tractor Safety Certification Course for ALL Youth, not limited 4-H Members. The hazardous Occupation in Agriculture Law requires that youth ages 14-16 must have at least 24 hours of tractor safety and maintenance instruction to drive a tractor on a farm not owned by their parents. Youth who are 13 may be eligible to receive certification, please call CCE to verify eligibility. Preregistration is required, registration is open until March 1st. Attendance required at all classes to receive certification.
- Where: Varies with all classes, call for a complete schedule
- When: Mondays, 6pm – 9pm March 4, 11, 18, 25 and April 1, & Saturday April 6, 2019
- Cost: $45 per person (includes student manual)
- Who: All youth (not limited to 4-H members)
- How: Click HERE to register and call 315-255-1183 for more information
March 18, 2019 – Office Closed for Presidents Day
March 18- 22, 2019 Agricultural Literacy Week. Throughout Cayuga county, volunteers will read On the Farm, at the Market by G.Brian Karas to elementary classrooms and lead a related activity.
- Where: Throughout Cayuga County
- Cost: Free
- Who: Volunteers
- How: Call 315-255-1183 ext. 246 to volunteer or participate
March 30, 2019 – District Presentations at Midlakes Highschool
March 31, 2019 – March Dog Madness will be hosted by Orange County 4-H educators for interested dog club leaders, teens and youth. Participants will gather to practice dog training principles they can apply to their own training and share with other youth in their counties. Click HERE for more information!
- Where: Middletown, NY Click
- When: Sunday, March 31st, 10am – 4pm
- Cost:$25/person (includes lunch)
- Who: Open to the public
- How: RSVP by March 22, as classes will fill up. Click HERE to register!
April 2019: Upcoming Events
April 5-7, 2019 – STARR (State Teen Action Reps Retreat) will once again take place at the NYS Fair Grounds in Syracuse New York. Just 85$ to register for this fun filled weekend, 4-H teens will participate in a variety of workshops and activities aimed at helping youth develop a range of skills. The event is planned by youth and adults serving on the STARR committee. Click HERE for more information!
- Where: NYS Fairgrounds, Syracuse, NY
- When: The weekend of April 5-7, 2019
- Cost: $85 per youth
- Who: All 4-H Teens aged 13 and up!
- How: Click HERE to register!
April 6, 2019 – Vet Open House at Cornell Campus click HERE
April 28, 2019 – Equine Extravaganza: SUNY Cobleskill faculty and students in partnership with Cornell Cooperative Extensions of Schoharie-Otsego & Fulton-Montgomery welcome 4-H youth from across New York State to join us for a fun filled educational day that is intended to broaden the 4-H youths’ knowledge within the horse project and provide more insight into Hippology.
- Where: Equine Center at SUNY Cobleskill
- When: 9am-3pm Sunday, April 28th 2019
- Cost: $20/youth, $10/adult chaperone (cost includes t-shirt!)
- Who: All 4-H youth, cloverbuds and up!
- How: Click HERE for more information, and HERE for forms to register!
May 2019: Upcoming Events
May 3-5, 2019 – Forestry Weekend: Join youth from across NY, for this three-day event focused on learning about forest management and careers in forestry. This event will include games, activities and a competition relevant to forestry, during which a team will be selected to represent NYS at the National Forestry Invitational (must be aged 14-19 to attend national event).
- Where: Camp Shankitunk, NY
- When: The weekend of May 3-5, 2019
- Cost: ~ $45
- Who: Youth aged 10 and up
- How: Registration is not yet open
May 4, 2019 – Animal Crackers registration is now open for this workshop oriented event focused on educating about horse and poultry science! Participants will learn about different aspects of animal care, interact and exchange with faculty, staff, students, professional producers, industry experts, and more, utilizing the unique facilities of Cornell University.
- Where: Cornell Campus, Morrison Hall
- When: Check-in begins at 9am on Saturday, May 4, 2019
- Cost: $15
- Who: 4-H youth aged 9 and up
- How: Register through your country office by contacting CCE @ 315-255-1183. Click HERE for more details and HERE to register online!
May 17-18, 2019 – 4-H Equine and Dairy 101: This one-night two-day 4-H Dairy & Equine Camp is for 4-H youth interested in either the dairy or equine tract! All sessions will be taught by Morrisville State College faculty and other professionals in the industries. For more information on this awesome program or to register, call Jennifer Collins at the Herkimer County 4-H office at 315-866-7920.
- Where: Morrisville State College
- Cost: $100 per 4-H participant & $75 per chaperone
- Who: 4-H youth aged 13-19
- How: Click HERE to register
At a Glance Schedule, Upcoming Events 2019:
March 4, 11, 18, 25, 2019 – Youth Tractor Safety Course
March 27-April 7, 2019 – Paper Clover Campaign
March 29-30, 2019 – Dairy Discovery Program @ Cornell
April 1, 6, 2019 – Youth Tractor Safety Course
April 27, 2019 – NYS 4-H Horse Bowl
April 27, 2019 – NYS 4-H Dairy Bowl
May 4, 2019 – Animal Crackers Program @ Cornell
May 11, 2019 – 4-H Horse Clinic @ Snook’s Training Stables
May 11, 2019 – NYS 4-H Horse Communications
May 19-21, 2019 – 4-H Capital Days Program in Albany
June 14-16, 2010 – NYS 4-H STEM Camp
June 25-27, 2019 -4-H Career Explorations Program @ Cornell
July 25-27, 2019 – 4-H Youth Fair Events
August 17, 2019 – Tentative: NYS 4-H Dog Show @ NYS Fairgrounds
August 21-September 2, 2019 – NYS Fair
Registrations are required for most programs, for detailed information on specific events, call: (315) 255-1183, email, find us on Facebook, or visit our website. If you are a person with a disability and require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations for the any event, contact us as soon as possible, please. Please contact the Cornell Cooperative Extension Cayuga County office if you have special needs or are unable to pay at cost events.