恭贺新禧!

While February 14th is known as Valentine’s Day to most of us, to several billion people this year, it marks the start of a new year according to the lunar calendar — a.k.a. Chinese New Year.  It’ll be the Year of the Tiger (which, come to think of it, is the year most of the CAPS Class of 2008 are born in…), so I think it’ll be fitting to have some pictures of the ubiquitous felines on the Beijing University campus.

While February 14th is known as Valentine’s Day (情人节) to many of us, to several billion people this year, it marks the start of a new year on the lunar calendar — a.k.a. Chinese New Year.  It’ll be the Year of the Tiger (which, come to think of it, is the year most of the CAPS Class of 2008 are born in…), so I think it’ll be fitting to have some pictures of felines, which were exceptionally ubiquitous on the Beijing University campus:

When I got to Beida, one thing that surprised me about the stray cats on campus (besides the fact that there were A LOT of them) was that they…well, they looked awfully good. I mean, check out their coats:

159225

The next cat, by the way, does have two front legs and two eyes, it’s just that it has a very thick coat and it was reaching out to get down from the sidewalk.

209

Their large fluffy coats are probably largely in thanks to the Lost Angels Club, a student organization that leaves food at various locations around campus for the cats (which explains why there’re so many). They even built little houses for them:

226

During my last week at Beijing, a friend I met through the Violin Society brought out Niunai (牛奶, which means milk), a cat that apparently has quite a reputation with the students on campus, for me to meet. Niunai isn’t a stray, but stays inside 老地学楼 or 老化学楼 (I forgot; it was one of the buildings in front of the library), lovingly cared for by teachers and students —  she gets a lot of visitors bringing leftovers from their dinners.

145

While Niunai was a good sport for the first 5 minutes when I was cooing at how adorable she is (honestly, can/does anyone disagree?!), but at 5 minutes and 1 second, she started getting annoyed because it was cold outside. Like almost-single-digits cold. Niunai gave me a glare and looked away, which I deserved.

148