Determining rental prices for farmland – new resources

Hello everyone,

I’d like to share two resources I’ve developed for extension educators and others serving New York agriculture.

The first is a Farmland-Rental-Fact-sheet and is intended as a resource for landowners who are trying to determine what rental rSte to charge for farmland. This fact sheet was developed in response to several educators throughout the state sharing with me that they regularly receive requests related to this topic. Please feel free to forward it to interested groups or let me know where would be a good place to disseminate/post.

The second is the ‘NY Farmland Sales Web Tool’ – which is currently located at www.farmland.dyson.cornell.edu. This tool provides annual county level average and median farmland sales prices (based on actual transactions data), as well as number of sales and total acres sold, from 2006-2017. There is also a link to a very brief survey to provide feedback at the bottom the map. Much of the feedback I’ve received so far has been related requests for additional information – which I greatly appreciate, especially for future work in the area or expansion of the tool. Eventually I may expand the website to provide access to additional farmland related resources, articles, research, etc.

I am very grateful to several people who were instrumental in helping me put together these 2 products, including Ariana Stanley-Taylor, Judy Wright, Travis Grout, Melanie Bruce, Saptarshi Mallick and Jerzy Jaromczyk.

Best,
Jenny

Jennifer E. Ifft, PhD
Assistant Professor
Mueller Family Sesquicentennial Faculty Fellow in Agribusiness and Farm Management
Faculty Fellow, Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future
Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management
Cornell University
Phone: (607) 255-4769
Email: jifft@cornell.edu
Webpage: http://dyson.cornell.edu/people/profiles/ifft.php