Everything that could possibly go wrong with the project has gone wrong. During the shoot on Sunday, I found that my sculpture was not working visually. Even after major adjustments to the sculpture, the re-shoot on Monday was just a mess. The cable release broke, and the Polaroids got stuck so I had to shoot semi-blind. Luckily, I digitally documented the shoot.
However, the problems did not end there. Today, all of the negatives got stuck to each other while developing. I managed to separate them, but the damage had already been done. The contact sheets and prints look horrendous! I do have a few ideas on how to salvage the negatives for printing, but who knows what will happen tomorrow.
Well, this sums it up nicely:
While researching at Kroch Library, I gradually realized that my topic for the final project was better suited for an essay. I felt that I could no longer clearly and effectively express my ideas on the campus architecture through photography. Honestly, it just wasn’t necessary to do so anymore (It was more interesting as a discussion with a friend than as an investigation through photography). Now without a concrete project, I’ve decided to return to exploring light as a sculptural element. It’s not exactly ideal to move backwards, but the collaborative still life project was more productive than any of the other assignments, at least for me.
In the images below, the patterns were naturally created from daylight streaming through various windows in my home in New Jersey. Perhaps something will come of this.