Audacity of Ignorance, Manipulation of Religion

It was only a matter of time before ignorance and closed-mindedness claiming the backing of God surfaced at Cornell.

http://cornellsun.com/section/news/content/2009/04/23/outcry-erupts-alleged-homophobia

It’s upsetting, as a Catholic Christian, to hear about the injustice and discrimination imposed on Chris Donohoe. I’m sure it takes courage to come out to a group you’ve been a part of for four years, is close to your heart, is part of your life, and know that they might not approve. While I’ve never met Chris, I have nothing but admiration and respect for his choice. I am ashamed that this story and ones like it are always how Christians make the news.

With comments like, “I think that a lot of times Christian organizations do get a bad name for taking a stance against homosexuality because it looks like we are condemning a person but I want to make it clear that we have nothing against Chris or another person for choosing to be a homosexual,” it’s hard to not look down in embarrassment, knowing that I am a Christian just like them, at the obvious hypocrisy. ‘We have nothing against a person for choosing to be a homosexual’ but we just have enough against that person to not let him/her be part of our group. That’s elementary reasoning. False logic. Idiocy. Stupidity.

The defense, “Because the Bible says so” doesn’t work either. So the Bible says in Lev 18:22 “You shall not lie with another male as with a woman; such a thing is an abomination,” and goes on to say in Lev 20:13 “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” Pretty strong statements. Apparently some Catholics forgot that we see the Bible as a symbolic book divinely inspired by God. We forgot that we should be able to discern that an actual dragon with seven diadems which came down and ate first born children didn’t actually occur even though the Book of Revelation (the most entertaining and enthralling in my opinion) explains the event with such detail and suspense. We forgot that homosexuality and abomination are part of a culture described in the Bible that predates us, that accepts slavery and the favorable treatment of men over women.

Apparently we Christians, those who believe the Bible literally and those who believe it selectively, can pick and choose which “rules” to follow. We can take the two versus in Leviticus seriously and chastise, discriminate, and punish all those who are homosexuals (Emphasis on the fact that the word ‘choose’ is omitted. Danielle D’Ambrosio, when did you choose to be straight? Did you wake up one day in seventh grade, look in the mirror, and say I think I’ll be straight for my entire life?) but disregard the teachings of Jesus Christ demanding that the most important commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. Ignore that Exodus 21:7 allows the father to sell his daughter into slavery. If my dad could do that every time my sister stole the tv remote from me, I’d have at least 20 different siblings by now. Ignore that Exodus 35:2 says those who work on the Sabbath shall be put to death. I would bet my life that at least one member of Chi Alpha has gone to the library and studied on Sunday. Or how about Leviticus Chapter 11 in its entirety, not being able to eat rabbit or camel or touch the skin of a dead pig. Ironic because how many of us love sports, especially sports with balls, especially sports like football. In fact, I recall Notre Dame being one of the most dominant college football programs (at least back when Lou Holtz was coaching). Should we declare all past and present ND football players unclean (at least those who played back when a football was literally a pigskin)?

Why is it that we come to ignore these arbitrary, outdated rules, but stand steadfast to the one about homosexuality? Why is it that a gay person cannot be ordained a priest? Why is it that Chris Donohoe can’t hold a senior position in a Christian group because he met a boyfriend? Why is it that Jessica Longoria believes that homosexuality is a biblically based sin and by committing such a sin one can’t enter the kingdom of God? Why is it that people still parade around on their horse to heaven, and in the name of Christianity, say if you’re gay you’re going to hell? Don’t they know they’re taking a way of life - an eternal belief that embodies and has represented an ideology of respect, empathy, high-mindedness, and self-sacrifice - throwing it on the ground, spitting on it, and rubbing it in the dirt, not to mention the dignity of millions of people?

Published in: Senior Year- I'm scared out of my mind! on April 23, 2009 at10:48 pm Comments (12)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://blogs.cornell.edu/alex/2009/04/23/audacity-of-ignorance-manipulation-of-religion/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

12 Comments      Leave a comment.

1. on April 24, 2009 at 10:59 pmJL Said:

passionate and articulate. wonderful.

2. on August 4, 2009 at 2:06 pmGwen Said:

So I’m here via the student life blog page on the main Cornell site (pre-frosh, I know, the lowest of the low), and I have to say, this post just makes me flail with happiness. I’m Protestant, but I feel exactly the same way. I’m harrassed by many of my fellow Christians for believing in gay marriage/accepting homosexuals, so it’s nice to see someone who thinks the way I do. Kudos to you, and here’s hope that we can be the next generation of Christians who don’t condemn the innocent.

3. on November 13, 2011 at 3:09 pmManley Said:

‘We have nothing against a person for choosing to be a homosexual’

FYI. It’s not a choice. It’s a gift I was born with.

Loved the article. btw.

Thanx. m.