Study Week … Again

Study week (Monday-Wednesday before finals start) is always the most difficult time for me because it’s never used for studying. There are always so many activities going on (eg: Habitat for Humanity dodgeball tournament last night) that it’s nearly impossible to study. Add to that, that my first final is not until a week from tomorrow! What am I supposed to do? If I study now, I’ll forget it 5 days from now. If I start studying later it’s so close to summer, that’s all that my mind can focus on.

My solution would be to have 0 finals. Make each class have a “comprehensive evaluation”. For example, I’m taking this risk management class. So my comprehensive evaluation would be writing a page, single-spaced, on how my use of two daily/weekly planners instead of one is an example of risk spreading. For instance, if I lose one I’ll still have the other so I won’t be completely aloof to what I have to do. Just half aloof. I’ve spread my risk across two planners. That’s it. Add a couple more sentences to make it a page and then bam! I get an A. This can be done for every class. So if you were taking a government course you could apply the Obama-Clinton primaries tomorrow to some principle that you learned in your Campaigns and Elections class (a real class at Cornell). Of course that would be a page, single-spaced as well. If you’re in a math class you’d make your own math problem instead of solving one. This is just an idea. Obviously, I don’t see it happening anytime soon so I’ll just go and watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann and then House after that. Studying will be left for tomorrow, one week before my pre-lims start.

One thought on “Study Week … Again”

1. As a former Lit/Anthro major, I am happy to report that the bulk of MY finals were papers. Only–none of this one page stuff. Try 15-20. Single spaced. On topics like “The role of the sub-concious in Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s The Yellow Wallpaper”.

My favorite final ever was actually for an Osteoforensics class. Everyone was given a big box of bones. We had to sort them–animal from human–and then write a paper on how we thought the human in question died. It was all very CSI.