Trials Upon Trials

The last couple of weeks I’ve been traveling across New York State looking at test plots and fields along with way. From Buffalo to Watertown and Utica as well there’s plenty corn and soybean fields to be seen. As I looked at each plot the main factor effecting the health is the amount of rain.

Signing test plots

Signing test plots

Each plot I looked at I’ve been putting up signs and reporting on the best varieties of corn. Even though each field varies in the amount of rain, height, and fertilizer or spray applied; there are several varieties that stood out overall.

Competitors Plot

Competitors Plot

I complied all of my results into a slide show that showed the best corn varieties; Seedway and others included; and gave a short presentation at their annual sales meeting this past Tuesday. As all the district sales managers listened and discussed at the end, the varieties were not very surprising as most of them were drought tolerant types.

In the up coming weeks, we have grower appreciation days and field days for farmers in the area to view the corn crops side by side before they order next years crop. The soybeans are the next project to come in the following weeks as they are not as matured and ready for presentation yet.

Seedway corn next to Pioneer in test plot