Ag Appropriations is Finished and so is Rep. Weiner

Ag Appropriations has past as well as the Weiner scandal. It was a interesting time filled with a lot of hussle to research amendments presented on the floor and a lot of phone calls. Ag Appropriations is when Congress decides what the spending allotment for agriculture will be in the coming year. It deals with everything from research to food stamps and allows for the allocation of funds to certain projects and inevitable cuts to others.
Since Appropriations has finished, I have been working on a number of subjects from Marcellus Shale drilling, to gaming regulations for U.S. casinos. Gaming regulations in New York is a really touchy issue between balancing the economy with the needs of casinos in the state.
Recently sitting in a meeting with our agriculture legislative aid, I had a chance meeting with a prominent NY farm constituent. It was fascinating to hear some of the real concerns from NY farmers about immigration policy and its effects on the future of my district’s agricultural impact. We also picked up two new interns, so my responsibility on new issues has increased, giving me more research and development tasks looking at positions on new and upcoming issues.
Besides the typical work day, I recently met with former Attorney General John Ashcroft. So far, this was my favorite moment in D.C.! I wasn’t expecting his continuing passion for our country’s future. He was an empowering speaker with a great sense of humor. He was able to answer all the questions thrown at him with ease and actually put a hush on the democratic side of the isle. His answers were clear and to the point and made me realize how little you need to say to make a huge impact.

Weiner resigns after his twitter scandal and his prior press conference saying he would not resign.

*