A New Chapter

For nearly five years now, I have worked at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rensselaer County. On numerous occasions, I have written articles covering various topics related to agriculture. These articles focused on changes in farming methods and practices, aids to financial decision making, new inventions, current market trends, county fairs, and other subjects related to the agricultural community. On a personal note, this particular article has been surprisingly difficult to write. By the time it is published, I will have left my post as Farm Business Educator in Rensselaer County.

When I started in this position, I had no idea how diverse the assignment would be or even how much I would learn from it. Every time I thought I had a good handle on things, someone would call with a new twist. Although I have always known agriculture is in a constant state of change from year to year, season to season, and week to week, it did not take long to realize, from this vantage point, it often changes from one day to the next and sometimes from sun-up to sundown.

Untitled.pngkirk

It is the love of the land and the love of farming that started in my youth, as I grew up on my own family farm, that attracted me to Cornell Cooperative Extension; and thus provided me with the opportunity to meet some amazing Rensselaer County citizens; both in the farming community and in the agricultural services. Some of my most rewarding experiences were when these people told me I “held a great class”; that they “learned a lot” from me; or that they had made a “huge improvement on their farm” based on information I had given them.

I have developed a deep appreciation and affection for the beautiful rolling hills and streams in this area. My most enjoyable days were when I was called to drive out for farm visits. Even though hurricane Irene came with a destructive hand, the fact that the farmers bounced back so fast, and did it with a smile, is a testament to their resilience.  It has been a real pleasure working with you.

I am continuing to serve the farming community as Farm Business Management Educator for Saratoga County Cornell Cooperative Extension, so I am not really going too far. However, I am truly going to miss the beautiful scenery and the wonderful people of Rensselaer County.