Cornell University Common Application Essay Questions

The 2014 Common Application will be live on Thursday, August 1. The Cornell Essays and Questions section of the application will ask you to complete the essay question for the specific college/school you are applying to. If you are utilizing the primary/alternate option, you must complete the essay below for both colleges/schools that you are applying to. The Cornell Essays and Questions part of the application is very important and we want to allow plenty of time for you to adequately prepare. Here is a preview of the 2014 Cornell University essay questions:

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: How have your interests and related experiences influenced the major you have selected in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences?

College of Architecture, Art, and Planning: Why are you excited to pursue your chosen major in AAP? What specifically about AAP and Cornell University will help you fulfill your academic and creative interests and long-term goals?

College of Arts and Sciences: Describe two or three of your current intellectual interests and why they are exciting to you. Why will Cornell’s College of Arts and Sciences be the right environment in which to pursue your interests?

College of Engineering: Tell us about an engineering idea you have, or about your interest in engineering. Describe how your ideas and interests may be realized by—and linked to—specific resources within the College of Engineering. Finally, explain what a Cornell Engineering education will enable you to accomplish.

School of Hotel Administration: Hospitality is the largest industry in the world and includes sectors such as hotel operations, food and beverage management, real estate, finance, marketing, and law. Considering the breadth of our industry, please describe what work and non-work experiences, academic interests, and career goals influenced your decision to study hospitality management? How will these contribute to your success at the School of Hotel Administration?

College of Human Ecology: What do you value about the College of Human Ecology’s perspective, and the majors that interest you, as you consider your academic goals and plans for the future?

School of Industrial and Labor Relations: Tell us about your intellectual interests, how they sprung from your course, service, work or life experiences, and what makes them exciting to you. Describe how these interests may be realized and linked to the ILR curriculum.

Remember that all Common Application essays need to be between 250 and 650 words.

7 Responses to “ Cornell University Common Application Essay Questions ”

• Chris Yang

Is the word limit still the same as last year’s? 500? I don’t see a definite limit but I just want to make sure. Thanks!

• ad738

Hi Chris – the new word limit is 650 words.

• Chris yang

Much appreciated.

• Angus Gibbs

I have a couple questions about the Common Application:

1. I split my time 50/50 between my regular high school and a math and science center. However, on the Common Application I only have space to enter my home school; the “other school” option is for students who have transferred from one school to another, whereas I have been attending both schools simultaneously since I entered high school, and will graduate from both. How can I list the math and science center among my schools? I think it’s an important part of my application.

2. Are honors given for accomplishments on A.P. exams considered international or national? I know that College Board administers tests around the globe, but the majority are in the U.S.

• ad738

Hi Angus – 1. The math and science center does not need to be listed as one of your schools. Please ask your guidance counselor to address your participation in the center and be sure that a transcript with the courses you have taken is sent to Cornell. 2. Most students will list honors given for accomplishments on the A.P. exams as national.

• Andrea

Hi! I am filling out the supplement for SHA and the word count is showing double the amount of words that I have. Do you have any advice on how to solve this issue?

Thanks!

• ad738

This sounds like a technical error. You would need to contact the Common App directly.

About the blog

We are pleased that you want to join us in an open conversation about admissions, financial aid, Cornell, Ithaca and anything else that is of interest to you, and to us More >>>