Application Materials

Regular decision applicants have probably seen the recent News item on the admissions website:

Cornell is currently receiving a very large volume of application materials. You can expect a two week delay from when we receive your application materials to when your application status is updated. At this time, we are unable to respond to phone calls or email inquiries about application materials. In mid-February, when our processing nears completion, we will notify you if we are missing materials from your application, and we will provide you with an opportunity to complete your application. In the meantime, please do not send duplicate copies of your application materials.

We anticipate receiving tens of thousands of electronic application items and many bins of mail. Every item has to be electronically or manually “opened” and connected to the application file for the correct student. It can take up to two weeks from the time you send or submit an item for you to see it reflected in your application status (read more about that here).

At this busy time of year, we ask that you please not call or email to see if we have received an item. Your application status is as up-to-date as our computer system. Since we have so many materials in line to be processed (that’s when we enter information into our computer system and match items with applications), we won’t be able to share any additional information if you call or email. Sending duplicate copies is also not advisable. More materials will just take our staff more time to complete your application.

The Undergraduate Admissions Office, and the rest of Cornell University, was closed for winter break from December 24 – January 2, but our staff was busy working behind the scenes to process your application materials as quickly as we can. Once we have matched the documents we have received with the proper application, we will absolutely notify you if we are missing required materials. At that time (which is usually in mid-February), you will be given a chance to complete your application. Until then, submit all of your materials, check your application status, and enjoy the start of 2012! We’ll be in touch soon.

7 thoughts on “Application Materials

1. Thank you for posting this! I have a question that may essentially have the same answer as Michelle’s, but I’ll ask just in case. I recently (after the admissions deadline) received a significant award/honor, and I was wondering, is there any way to inform the admissions office of this so it can be taken into consideration along with my application? Thank you again!

2. Hi! I’m wondering if the additional information portion of the common app wasn’t uploaded if I could email it to the admissions office and if they would attach it to my application.

3. Brittany, I’m so glad that this has been a good resource for you. A few School of Hotel Administration applicants will receive their decision as early as mid-February, however, the vast majority will be notified at the end of March.

4. Thank you for having this blog! I have been following it ever since I started the application process and it has helped me numerous times. I have heard that if you applied to The School of Hotel Administration you can receive an admissions decision as early as mid-February, could you please tell me if this is true? Have a wonderful evening!