Check the Status of Your Application

Now that you put your application in the mailbox or hit the submit button, what comes next? In the next few days (a little longer if you mailed your application) you will receive an email from Cornell with the subject line: “Cornell University ApplicantID Created.” This is the confirmation that Cornell has received your application, and the instructions in the email put you in the driver’s seat! Your ApplicantID allows you to create an online application status account – you will know what application materials we have received and processed.  Here are a few things to remember so that you can get the most use out of this online resource:

• If Cornell has not received your application fee or approved your fee waiver, you will not be able to see your checklist.
  • If you have not submitted your Cornell Supplement to the Common Application, then your checklist will be missing information.
  • After you send materials (or submit them electronically), it can take 5-10 days for Cornell to process the materials and for your application status to reflect that.
  • The checklist is updated every night, clicking on it multiple times in a day will not show anything new!
  • Calling or emailing the Undergraduate Admissions Office will not provide more up-to-date information than what you see on your checklist!
  • This is a “yes” or “no” list, so, for example, you will be able to see that we have received your SAT scores but not the score values.
  • Letters of recommendation and teacher evaluations will not appear when you check your application status and we do not track the names of the individuals who submit evaluations for applicants.
  • There are four checklist items for SAT Subject Tests, and all will appear as a red “X” on the checklist unless a score from that category has been received and the “X” is replaced with a green check.
  • Having trouble? Read the FAQs which are a link on the left navigation.
  • Having technical difficulties? Please contact the Cornell Information Technologies HelpDesk by email at helpdesk@cornell.edu or by telephone at 607.255.8990

Rest assured, if anything is missing from your application we will notify you, typically by email, and you will be given a chance to submit what is needed so your application can be reviewed. However, chances are, if you check your application status online, you will be able to complete your application easily.

13 thoughts on “Check the Status of Your Application

1. Mureille, if Cornell is missing required items (like your fee waiver) you will be contacted in mid-February and given a chance to complete your application.

2. Hello! I mailed in my fee waiver on the 2nd of this month and it still has not shown up on my account. There are other students who have mailed theirs a week after the deadline and their status has been updated a week after. I’m worried that Cornell may not have received my fee waiver. Will this cause a delay in the review of my application?

3. Hey, I’ve got the same problem as Emily. My O and A level results are attached in the International Supplement, and Cornell has downloaded all but that very document. So should I email them to intl-inquiry@cornell.edu?

And, what if my fee waiver is not accepted? Wouldn’t I get a chance to submit my application fee via credit card then? Rather than mailing an application fee waiver request, my GC actually faxed them for convenience. Would Cornell accept that? And if, by chance, the letter is missing, would I then too get a chance to submit my application fee via credit card?

Thank you.

4. If Cornell does not require International Report, and it includes information that is pertinent to our application for early decision, can my career counselor email it/contact admission officers to relay that information so it will be considered with my early decision application??

Thank you very much

5. Claire, early decision notification will be in mid-December. Check your email in early December for instructions and additional details.

6. Hello,

I’m an early decision applicant for the class of 2016 and I was wondering when the response date is this year (i.e. when will we receive an admissions decision)?

Thanks for your time,
    -Claire

7. Hello,

I am applying from Australia and I have submitted my common app for early decision to Cornell.
    Since I am an international student, International Report was a requirement.

My careers counselor has submitted ‘International Report’ and it says on common app, that Cornell has downloaded all the other documents about 10 days ago, except for the ‘International Report’.

My careers counselor has included significant information that I would like to be reviewed by Cornell for the admission process.

So will Cornell download the international report at a later stage? or will Cornell not consider international report at all??

Thank you always for your help. It is very much appreciated!

8. Jane, please send an email to undergradapp@cornell.edu that includes your full name, your name as it appears on the Common Application, and your date of birth along with the explanation you included in your blog comment. The admissions staff will then be able to correct your name and complete your application more easily.

9. Hi, I have submitted my common application for early decision to Cornell. After reading your post, I was just wondering if I would be able to log on using my applicant ID and change my full name? I have accidentally included my last name as part of my first name, despite filling in my last name already. So my full name now looks like ‘Jane X X’.

Also, will I be penalized in anyway?