The FAQs of SATs and ACTs

Standardized test scores are only a small part of your application for admission. Let me say that again, standardized test scores are only a small part of your application for admission. SAT or ACT scores represent one Saturday in your high school career (ok, maybe two or three or four…), however, questions about standardized tests are flooding our admission email account. Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about standardized tests:

Will scores from a November test arrive in time to be considered with my early decision application? Or, will January scores arrive in time to be considered with my regular decision application?

November scores will usually be received in time, but there is no guarantee that they will arrive before your application is considered. Same goes for January scores, they will usually be received in time for regular decision, but there is no guarantee they will arrive before your application is considered. Your best bet is to take standardized tests, and submit scores, before the application deadline.

Does Cornell participate in Score Choice?

No, Cornell does not participate in Score Choice. When you send your SAT scores we ask that you send us all of your scores, including all Subject Test scores. When sending your ACT scores, send us all test dates. This allows our selection committee to review the scores that are most supportive to your application. It is to your advantage to send all scores!

Does Cornell prefer the SAT or the ACT?

Cornell does not have a preference. Either the SAT or the ACT with writing are fine.

Do I need to take SAT Subject Tests?

Maybe, it depends on which college or school you apply to. The Cornell Freshman Admission Requirements Chart lists what standardized tests are required for each college and school.

Remember, standardized test scores are only a small part of your application for admission. Instead of spending hours worrying about a test you already completed, think about all of the information that you will share with the selection committee. You may find you have a few extra minutes to work on The All Important Cornell Supplement!

160 Responses to “ The FAQs of SATs and ACTs ”

• T. Dhimal

While Reviewing the application do Cornell take to an account about the Circumstance that students are going through “if it is stated in Essay”. And is it possible to get into Cornell with low SAT scores.

• Jeannette

Hi, I sat for the SAT Reasoning test in October and plan to apply to Cornell through Early Decision. Will it be too late if I send my scores now (which takes five weeks for delivery), or must I make use of the SAT rush reporting option? Thanks!

• tw34

T. Dhimal, the Cornell selection committee looks at all components in your application when making a decision including all personal information that is shared. It is important to remember that there’s no magical formula of grade-point average and standardized test scores that guarantees you will (or won’t) get into Cornell. Yes, Cornell’s admissions personnel review your academic transcript, and they’re interested in the strength of your curriculum. Yes, they note your test scores. It’s all important.

• tw34

Jeannette, normal delivery is fine if you send them in the next few days.

• Samir

Hi! I was planning to apply for the Regular Decision, and am going to write my SAT in January. Should I rush-report my scores or send it normally?

• tw34

Samir, if you list Cornell as a recipient of the scores at the time you take your exam, then there is no need to rush the score report.

• Application Questions and Answers | Undergraduate Admissions Office

[...] A. Please see our recent blog post on SAT and ACT FAQs. [...]

• Vinney

Hi!
    I wonder if my 10.27 TOEFL score(score available on 11/7) will be considered in my ED application?

I think this time the score will be higher than the score appeared in the application. SO, if i’m rejected because of the score, will admission officers reconsider me because of the newly-arrived score is competitive?

Thanks!

• Vinney

oh, and I got one more question.
    The admission officers read application in what order?
    it’s ordered according to name or the date we submit the applications?

THANKS!

• tw34

Vinney, October scores should be received in time to be reviewed with your early decision application. All decisions at Cornell are final, an application will not be reconsidered if additional scores are received after the application has been reviewed.

• tw34

Vinney, the selection committee reviews applications in a random order.

• Vinney

Thanks!
    And I have one more question
    If I’m rejected of defered due to my SAT score in ED,
    will I be reconsidered with higher score in RD?

• tw34

Vinney, if you are denied early decision, that is a final decision and your application will not be reconsidered for regular decision. If your application is deferred to regular decision, the selection committee will review your application and all additional material that has been submitted.

• dchs12

Collegeboard has sent the SAT socres but it does not show up on the status. How long does it take to get updated?

• tw34
  • Belle

Hi, so I have applied for ED and I have sent in all required materials and all my SAT scores and fees. However I took SAT subject tests again this November to improve my previous scores and the scores are not yet out. I was wondering if I should rush the scores as soon as it comes out? and how long it would take if I rushed the scores? or does Cornell prefer students to not rush the scores?
    Thanks

• Cristina

Hi,
    I applied early decision for Cornell and sent in my ACT with writing scores. I failed to notice that I needed SAT subject tests also. What should I do? Should i withdraw my application, take the tests in december, and apply for regular decision? Will admissions not even look at my ED application when they notice I don’t have the subject tests?

• jaspreet singh

Hi,

I took my ACT test on OCT 22nd but wasn’t aware that the Writing part is required to apply to Cornell. The next ACT test date is dec 10th. However, I am worried the score won’t reach you on time. Will my application be automatically rejected if ACT score is not sent by jan 2nd? Or do you accept late scores?

• tw34

Cristina, the answer to your question varies depending on the college or school you have applied to.

• tw34

Jaspreet, if you are applying regular decision then December scores will arrive in time to be considered with your application. Just make sure that you indicate Cornell as a recipient of your scores at, or prior to, the exam.

• jaspreet singh

thank you so much. that’s a relief.

• Nguyen

Hi, I have a question about SAT subjects. Does it hurt my chance of getting into Cornell if I take the tests more than three times? In my case, I took Math Level 2 twice, Biology twice, and Chemistry twice.
    Thanks for your reply.

• tw34

Nguyen, if you have taken the SAT Subject Test multiple times, the selection committee will review your highest score.

• Hong

Hi, I have a question. Can I choose which SAT subject test scores to send to Cornell? I’ve taken three in November and I did bad on one of them. Is it gonna hurt my chance to get in if I send the bad one in as well as my other two?

• Bianca

Hi!
    I was wondering, was there a percentage of people with low SAT scores that got accepted into Cornell that was recorded last year? I’m just worried that my scores will somewhat hinder my dream of going to Cornell. Also, is GPA considered more important than SAT scores?
    Thank you so much!

• tw34

Hong, Cornell doesn’t participate in score choice which means if you are sending SAT scores, then we ask that you send all College Board scores to Cornell. Rest assured, scores are only one small part of your application and only the required SAT Subject Test scores (or the two highest results) will be reviewed with your application.

• tw34

Bianca, there is a wide range of scores and GPAs of our most recent freshman class. This profile: http://admissions.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Class%20Profile%202015.pdf, provides a summary of the class of 2015. Keep in mind that Cornell looks at more than just your scores and GPA, many other factors such as your interests, experiences, and coursework are taken into account when your application is reviewed.

• jamie

Hi,
    I applied ED to ILR and just wanted to make sure I had a correct understanding of ILR’s SAT/ACT policy. From what I gathered, if I only submitted the ACT (with writing), I was not required to take a math (or any subject, for that matter) SAT II. People have been arguing me on this, so I just wanted to be sure. Thank you.

• Piyush

I read a article about Cornell considering all SAT score at http://www.firangibaba.in/ Is it still in effect?

Thank you.

• tw34

Jamie, ILR applications who submit ACT scores (with writing) do not need to submit SAT Subject Test scores.

• tw34

Piyush, Cornell does not participate in College Board Score Choice, which means that all SAT scores must be sent to Cornell for consideration.

• Catherine

Hi,
    I am applying to the College of Arts and Sciences, and I plan on submitting ACT scores instead of the SATI. Would I still be required to submit two subject tests?
    Thanks!

• tw34

Catherine, all applicants to the College of Arts and Sciences are required to submit two SAT Subject Tests.

• Tram

Hi,
    Do I need to submit my common application and cornell supplement before my SAT score report reach cornell in order for it to be reviewed?
    Thanks!

• Hyerin

If I have only taken the ACT w/ Writing once but have taken the ACT w/o Writing a couple times before that, do I need to report those scores w/o the Writing?

• tw34

Tram, application materials can be received in any order. It is easier for our staff if the Common Application and Cornell Supplement come first, but all materials will be linked together as long as they have your full name and date of birth on them.

• tw34

Hyerin, for the ACT, you can just submit the exam with writing.

• Manan

I did not mention in the future tests section of the common application that i would be taking any sat in january and my common app is already sent for other colleges. But i do want to take sat in january. does cornell look at january scores? can i inform cornell in any way that im taking sat in jan, so that it considers my jan scores ( if jan scores are valid)?

• lp11

I took the ACT with writing but I haven’t yet taken the SAT subject tests. If I have everything except the subject tests in by the regular deadline, then take the subject test in January will you still consider my application to the school of Engineering?

• tw34

Manan, Cornell will consider January scores, but keep in mind there is a chance that you application may be reviewed before the scores have been received.

• tw34

lp11, Cornell will still consider your application, however, it may disadvantage your application if scores are not received until after the January test date.

• MK

Hi,

On the common application it indicates that I report “the highest individual scores I have earned so far, even if those scores are from different test dates”. After reading that Cornell requires that applicants send all scores, I wanted to double check that I can report my highest scores on the common app and then send the rest of the scores through collegeboard.

Also, I wanted to check that for the department of art in AAP College I only need to send my SAT scores and not my SAT subject tests.

Thank you in advance.

• jeslin

Hi, I’m applying for rd. If I sent my scores through collegeboard on 22nd Dec, will it be considered with my application? Or should I rush my score report instead? Thanks!

• Margaret

Since ACT charges each time for sending test scores from different dates can we just officially report the best composite score then self report the others under the additional information section in the common application? Or do all need to be officially sent through ACT?

• Sarah

I am applying for the College of Engineering and have just realized that I need a Math SAT Subject Test, which I do not have. I do have a physics. Should I still apply?

• tw34

MK, the selection committee will not be concerned about how you self-reported the information on the Common Application. Applicants to art, are not required to take SAT Subject Tests.

• tw34

Jeslin, there is no need to rush your score report at this time.

• tw34

Margaret, if you are submitting the ACT then it is in your best interest to submit all scores.

• tw34

Sarah, taking your SAT Subject Tests in January is permissible but remember that those scores may not reach us in time to be reviewed with your application.

• Basil Chaballout

Hi,
    I am planning on taking the SAT in october and applying early decision. However in the case that my score won’t be as good as I would like, i will retake it in november. Will it be too late by November for Early Decision consideration, or should I include in my application that I plan on retaking the test (implying that i will get a better score), or will that not make a difference.
    ps. I plan on applying to the College of Human Ecology as a Biology Major

• tw34

Basil, there is no guarantee that November scores will be received in time to be considered with an early decision application.

• John

Hi! Well, I am writing my SAT once more in January. So should I rush report the January scores to Cornell, or utilize the free score report and send it the usual way? Thanks!

• Sara

I applied rd and just realized that I did not take one of the required subject tests and I its too late to take it now. What should I do?

• tw34

Sara, in the absence of required subject test scores, selection committees will base their admission decision on a review of your personal application, high school transcripts, guidance counselor recommendation, letters of reference, and SAT Reasoning Test and/or ACT scores. You should understand that without the required SAT Subject Test results, your application provides us with less information than applications that include the required scores.

• Sara

Thank you!
    So I will not automatically be declined if I did not take one of the required subject tests? I was worried that because I had not provided this, then they would no longer consider me. I understand that others will have an advantage over me because they provided the subject test, but I will still have a chance, correct?

• Lauren

I have the same problem as Sara, I had not taken one of my required SAT subject tests, (but I have 3 other scores) so will I still be considered for admission although the lack of the one SAT subject test will obviously place me at a disadvantage. I just want to make sure my application WILL BE reviewed and I WILL have a chance anyway.

• Maddie

Hello!
    In some college profile books there is no data for the middle 50% range of SAT writing scores, so I was wondering if Cornell looks at the SAT writing score at all, or if they simply do not report that information?

Thanks!

• Pablo

What if you get your results on 16 Feb and send the scores on that day?

• tw34

Lauren, your application will be reviewed without the required Subject Tests, however, the selection committee will have to rely more heavily on the other components of your application.

• tw34

Maddie, Cornell does require the SAT with Writing. How the scores are viewed will vary depending on the program at Cornell you apply to.

• tw34

Pablo, the scores would need to be rushed and there is a chance that they will not arrive in time to be reviewed by the selection committee.

• Connor

If I went to a different country for Rotary during my Senior year (I am currently a Junior), how long would my ACT/SAT scores be valid for? I see “5 years” a lot, however does this vary between colleges and if so, what is Cornells? Thanks!
    Connor

• Kshitij

Hi!
    I do not have great SAT Scores, however, I hve applied to Cornell since I have a very good academic track record and have also pursued activities other than academics. I am really worried about the outcome of my application. When do we get to know the result?

• tw34

Connor, any standardized test scores from your high school career would be reviewed with your application should you choose to apply during your rotary exchange year abroad.

• tw34

Kshitij, check your email next week for all the details regarding regular decision notification.

• ss123

This is really late..but I wrote on the Common App that I would be taking the January SAT, and I ended up never taking it. Is this a violation of Cornell’s rules? Is the admissions committee going to think I took it but never reported the score? I’ve always been someone, I think, of integrity, and I don’t want this possible misunderstanding to reflect negatively on myself or my application..even though there’s nothing to do at this point.

• tw34

Ss123, the situation you describe would have no impact on an admission decision, the selection committee will base their decision on the information received.

• Shruti

Hi
    I wanted to know if the SAT critical reading score is very important for an undergraduate engineering course. I have been able to score very well in the math as well as the Writing section however, have faltered with the reading section. Since I plan to major in math and computer science, will a low critical reading score affect my admissions to Cornell as well as the chance to be considered for the available scholarships?
    Thank you

• Lorena

Hello,

I had a question regarding subject tests for the college of engineering. I got an 800 on my spanish subject test and a 690 for American History, but I did not do so well on the math part. Will my other two scores influence my admission even if they are not related to my major?

• tw34

Shruti, all required application materials (including SAT scores) will be taken into account by the admissions selection committee when they make a decision. Cornell only provides need-based financial aid which means your SAT scores have no impact on your aid package.

• tw34

Lorena, the College of Engineering requires two SAT Subject Tests, one in math and one in science. Any additional Subject Test scores will not influence your admissions decision.

• Srini

My son got 2100 SAT super score and 35 ACT Composite score. And he also got 800 each Math, Physics and Chemistry Subject tests. Which score will you consider? ACT or SAT

• tw34

Srini, Cornell University asks that your son submit all of his scores and the best will be reviewed with his application materials (I can’t predict which scores will be used without having the official score report).

• Srini

Thanks for the reply. We actually sent you all the score reports already. (SAT1, SAT2 and ACT).

• Ankita

Hi, this a random question about standardized tests scores in general: suppose a student has good extracurriculars, a decent academic record and an impressive essay/personal statement, but his/her test scores aren’t good (SAT:2100 – 2200 ACT:30-33 SAT subject tests: 660-720), does the student have a good chance of getting into the school of engineering? Would the tests scores weaken the application?

• tw34

Ankita, the selection committee considers all of the required application materials when making a decision – more than just your scores. If you have questions about how the College of Engineering will view your application, please feel free to contact them at engr_admissions@cornell.edu

• Ankita

Thank you for the reply and I will contact the College of Engineering.

• Kat

Hi, I’m going into the freshman class of high school, and part of my summer homework was to research a college I would want to go to. I chose Cornell. Can you help me answer a few? Thanks in advance. :

What high school GPA will I need to be accepted into Cornell?

What are the SAT and ACT requirements for Cornell?

What happens if you don’t meet the SAT/ACT requirements? Can you still be accepted? If so, how?

Thanks again.

• tw34

Kat, Cornell doesn’t admit based on a formula, so there isn’t a minimum GPA or SAT score required for admission.

• Jean

Hi, what is Cornell’s SAT/GPA scores profile (25%/75%) for admitted students just for the college of Arts and Sciences not including other colleges? Thanks

• tw34

Jean, the SAT information that we share is on the Class Profile (it will be updated later this summer): http://admissions.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Class%20Profile%202015.pdf.

• Kat

Hi, I’m doing a school research project on Cornell. I’m going into 9th grade. One of the questions that I had to answer was “What happens if you don’t meet the SAT/ACT requirements? Can you still be accepted? If so, how?” I found what the actual SAT/ACT requirements to be accepted at Cornell are, but I can’t find the answer to this question. Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Jean

Hi, thanks for answering my question but I meant SAT profile for ONLY the College of Arts and Sciences. The profile you provided, I believe, includes all the colleges. It’ll help me greatly if you have that information. Thanks again!

• Madeleine

Does Cornell count the Writing Section of the SAT during the Undergraduate admission overview? I’ve checked CollegeBoard for Cornell’s entrance requirements, and they state that Cornell doesn’t look at the writing section.

• tw34

Kat, Cornell does not have a minimum score requirement for applicants.

• tw34

Jean, we provide information for our entire freshman call, not just those enrolled in one program.

• tw34

Madeline, Cornell requires the writing section of the SAT. How it is viewed in the application process will vary depending on the program a student has applied to.

• Madeleine

Oh I see. But let’s say I want to major in Biology/Animal science? Will they ten look at the writing section?

• tw34

Madeleine, that is a great question for the college or school you are applying to: http://admissions.cornell.edu/contact/college-and-school-contact-information.

• Sarah Leung

Hello,
    I just received my ACT scores and my calculated average was 31.25, but the ACT rounded me down to 31. If I super-score my test dates (I took the test a total of 2 times) I will have a 32.25, rounded down to 32. Will Cornell superscore my test dates? I’ve been getting mixed responses from fellow applicants; some claim to have contacted Cornell officials and report that Cornell DOES NOT superscore, but some claim otherwise. Please clarify Cornell’s policy on superscoring for the SAT and ACT standardized tests. I would appreciate it very much. THANK YOU!!
    -Sarah

• tw34

Sarah, Cornell will superscore the SAT Reasoning Test, however, the ACT will not be superscored.

• Manuela von Sneidern

Hello, I was planning on applying early decision, but I am taking my third SAT November 3rd. Is there any way to update your scores after you have submitted your application, and if so, does it lower your chances of getting accepted?

• Scarlet

Hi there,
    I think this question was asked a bunch of times in the past, but I just want to be sure with my time frame. I am registered for the Math II Subject Test waiting list for October 6th.

-In the event that I do get in and take the test, will that score reach you in time for your ED deadline?

-In the event that I do not get in and take the test will my low score of 670 affect my application greatly? (I scored 770 on my Biology Subject test and plan to apply to the College of Arts and Sciences)

I realize that you probably will not be able to answer my second question, but thank you in advance!

• jf77

Hi, I am applying Early decidison to CALS and CAS as my alternate option. I know CALS does not require SAT subject tests but CAS does. I was planning on using ym ACT score instead of my SAT reasoning test scores but i realize i need to submit my subject tests for CAS. is it possible for me to submit my ACT and 2 subject tests without showing my SAT reasoning scores?

• Brian

I took both the SAT I and ACT. My ACT is significantly better than my SAT score, but since I would still need to submit SAT II scores, would I be required to send the SAT I score? Would it be a disadvantage to me to send it, since its clearly lower than my ACT.

• Ankita

I know that the Early Decision deadline is November 1st. But the last ACT is 27th October, so will Cornell consider that ACT score, even though that scores comes out after the Early Decision deadline?

• Yanlong

Hi

If I use my ACT with writing and SAT Subject test scores for application, do I need to send in regular SAT scores?

Thank you.
    Yanlong

• tw34

Manuela, you are able to send updated scores after the application deadline. However, there is a chance that your early decision application will be reviewed before the new scores are received. Additional scores will not lower your chance of being admitted.

• tw34

Scarlet, if Cornell is listed as a recipient when you take the October exam, the scores will be received in time to be considered with your early decision application. It is impossible for me to predict how a possible score may be reviewed in the context of your entire application!

• tw34

Jf77, this is possible. However, please remember that Cornell does not participate in score choice and if you send your SAT reasoning test scores, we ask that you send them all.

• tw34

Brian, rest assured, the selection committee will review your best scores with your application.

• tw34

Ankita, October scores will be received in time to be reviewed with your early decision application as long as you list Cornell as a recipient when you take the exam. Don’t wait until you see the results to send them!

• tw34

Yanlong, no, in this scenario, you will not need to send your SAT scores.

• jo

Hi,
    If I have taken both the SAT and ACT, but only want to submit the ACT, is that okay to do? Also, the instructions state to send all the SAT scores if sending the SAT scores, but does not give that same instruction on the ACT scores. Can I send only the highest ACT score I had? Thank you.

• tw34

Jo, yes, you can choose to submit only your highest ACT score.

• Adam

Hi
    i know that a sat reading score over 670 can waive the toefl.Since i studied in USA for 3 years and i got a 32 act on reading and 33 composite , can i waive my toefl?
    Thankyou

• tw34

Adam, please visit http://admissions.cornell.edu/apply/international-students for information regarding TOEFL.

• Confused

I am confused between your response to Brian (10-6-12) and Yanlong (10-9-12). Response date from tw34 for both questions were on 10-9-12.
    Questions:
    1) If my ACT w/writing scores are higher than my SAT I scores, can I instruct the College Board to only send you SAT Subject Test scores (without SAT I scores)?

2) Is this in conflict with Cornell’s non-participation in the College Board’s Score Choice option?

I am applying to the Engineering School.

• Andrew

Hello,

If I send SAT2 scores, am I required to send SAT1 scores?
    In other words, I want to submit ACT and SAT2s only, but I have taken the SAT1 before. Would I have to submit that too?

• sb16

Hi,
    I have already submitted my highest ACT score but after reading this FAQ page, do I have to send my other ACT scores too?
    Also, I have taken 4 SAT subject tests and submitted my 2 highest, do I also have to submit my other SAT subject tests too?
    Finally, will it be too late to send the October SAT test on October 25th, the day I see the result, for ED?

Thank you

• tw34

Confused, College Board’s Score Choice policy only pertains to the SAT and SAT Subject Tests administered by that agency. The ACT is not a College Board exam and is not a part of Score Choice.

• tw34

Andrew, if you submit ACT scores, you are not required to submit SAT scores. In this scenario, you may opt to send the only the required SAT Subject Test scores from College Board.

• tw34

Sb16, if you plan to send your October scores, please list Cornell as a recipient at (or before) the exam to ensure they will be received in time for early decision. If you submit the SAT, we ask that you submit all of your SAT and SAT Subject Test results.

• sb16

Hello again,

Another question, if I did not request the score before the test, can I rush the score report this Thursday, when it comes out, for it to be received in time for ED?

Thanks

• Edward

Hi,
    I was afraid that collegeboard would not send in my sat scores in October before my application is reviewed, so I already “rushed – reported” it. Does Cornell prefer regular reporting? If my October scores will arrive on time with regular reporting, should I send my scores again through regular reporting? Or will Cornell take my rushed reporting?

• MikeYang

I have a question. I acknowledge that Cornell requires all my SAT scores, but due to diarrhea on two of the test dates( Chinese students have to fly to Hong Kong to take the tests and I did not adjust to the local food) I screwed up some. So I am thinking about retaking the SAT for a fourth time, but I want to know if Cornell will penalize students for taking tests for more than three times? Thank you

• tw34

Sb16, your best option is to contact the testing agency ASAP.

• tw34

Edward, Cornell does accept rushed score reporting and there is no need to resend them.

• tw34

Mike, Cornell will not penalize a student for taking the test multiple times. Rest assured, only your best scores will be considered.

• David

Does applying with out having taken your act/sat test scores affect the admission’s decision on wheather or not they will admit you?

• rekha

My daughter applied to Arts and Sciences early decision forgot to list her AP scores in the common App. Can she email them. If so, where can she email them.

• Ask

Hi
    I typed wrong activity hours in common app. For NHS,It should be one or two hours per week but I typed 10. I have already submitted my application. Is there anything I can do about it? Thank you very much.

• tw34

David, your application will not be reviewed until SAT/ACT scores are received by Cornell.

• tw34

Rekha, she can email them to admissions@cornell.edu. Please be sure she includes her full name and date of birth in the email.

• tw34

Ask, you can email a correction to admissions@cornell.edu and it will be added to your application. Please be sure to include your full name and date of birth in the email.

• Sucesso

I realize that Cornell asks students to report all SAT scores since Cornell does not participate in Score Choice. However, theoretically, what would happen if a student submitted only the highest scores and not all of them? Would Cornell find out about this? It seems to me that the point of Score Choice is to give the student more control over his application.

• tw34

Sucesso, it is in the student’s best interest to send all scores and Cornell will only consider those that are most supportive of the application. While you may feel you have more control with Score Choice, we believe that it is in your best interest to let us choose the scores to be reviewed. People can make mistakes when selecting what scores to send…and we take that possibility out of the equation when we ask for ALL scores.

• Kumar

I have submitted my SAT scores for ED,I had appeared for ACT in OCT and the results of the same have been declared today i.e NOV/13/2012.I am still awaiting the results of the writing part of the ACT.Will I be able to send my ACT results on time for consideration for ED

• Ruchi

Hello. I had planned to send in my november Sat scores to Cornell (I applied for early decision) the reason being that tHE CALS school website said it did not require sat score. I received an email stating my application was missing a few components and I sent my sat score ASAP. Will it reach on time? Here is the link which clearly states CALS does not require standardized testing.

http://cals.cornell.edu/admissions/apply/first-year/

• tw34

Kumar, at this point in the early decision process there is no guarantee that additional scores will arrive in time to be considered with your application.

• tw34

Ruchi, CALS does require SAT or ACT scores, however, SAT Subject Tests are not required for CALS.

• Sadman

hello!
    I am Sadman and i am applying to WCMC-Q. I have a few questions and it would be very helpful if you can answer them. I already sat for the SAT subject test and got 740 in chemistry, 730 in Biology M and 690 in Maths level II.
    I was wondering about the strength of my scores. I am mentally not quite well and I am struggling quite a lot.I am trying my level best to score as high as possible to give reasons to Cornell to accept me. Its hard to work with no motivation at all. I have been clinically depressed but I am trying my best help myself. I don’t know why is it so difficult. It is adversely affecting my studies.
    I got 4 A grades in my A levels and I am hopefully sitting for the SAT in December 2012. I know Cornell has no cut off but the higher the grades the better.
    I wish I could show more to Cornell but my personal circumstance really made everything harder.

I do not want to give up at this point but your suggestion might help me gauge my strength (possibly some motivation as well). Its hard to fly when something is holding you back.

• Barsh

Confused writes “I am confused between your response to Brian (10-6-12) and Yanlong (10-9-12). Response date from tw34 for both questions were on 10-9-12.
    Questions:

2) Is this in conflict with Cornell’s non-participation in the College Board’s Score Choice option?”

Can you please answer Question 1 and 2 with a “Yes or No’ answer. Because I am confused too.

Question 1) Yes or No?
    Question 2) Yes or No?

• Ern

If you have a high SAT, would a lower ACT score hurt your chances?

• Arabelle

What happens if an additional subject test score arrives late? Will Cornell penalize me even when I’ve submitted three other subject tests and a SAT score?

• Watter

Hello. I have sent my SAT score along with two SAT subject scores to Cornell. However, I recently took another SAT subject test. If I don’t send this last score, will I be penalized? I’m confused because the College of Engineering only requires 2 SAT Subject Tests, so I do not feel the need to send the last one – especially as I have to pay for an additional report.

If I DO have to send this one, then will the College of Engineering only look at the top two highest Subject Tests? I’m afraid that my last score will only hurt my application.

Thank you.

• Watter

Sorry to add another comment. I just want to say again that the three subject tests I took are of DIFFERENT subjects. I have completed the requirement by taking the first two (Math II and Physics). Should I send in my last Bio score (which hasn’t come out)?

• tw34

Sadman, you need to contact WCMC-Q directly with any questions: http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/.

• tw34

Barsh, it is in every applicants best interest to submit ALL scores and Cornell’s selection committee will review those that are most supportive of your application.

• tw34

Ern, only your strongest scores will be considered by the selection committee.

• tw34

Arabelle, if it a Subject Test that is required for the program you apply to then the selection committee will not have all the information they need until it is received.

• tw34

Watter, the selection committee will only review the required scores that are most supportive of your application. There is no need to send the score at this time if you are an early decision applicant.

• Xu Chen

Hello,i am intend to apply for regular decision, but i want to retake sat in january, will the january sat score being accept?

• Cecile

Hello,
    I have a SAT I score but I’m retaking the SAT in January to improve it. Should I send the January score directly to Cornell even if the admissions committee may not receive it in time?

• Shelly

Hi,

I am applying Regular Decision to Cornell and I am taking the ACT in February. I have already submitted my September ACT score. Should I also submit the February one, or will it not be considered? Thank you!

• Christina

Will Cornell accept February ACT scores for Regular Decision?

Thanks.

• tw34
  • tw34

Cecile, please have the score directly sent to Cornell.

• tw34

Shelly, it is very unlikely that your February score will arrive in time to be considered by Cornell.

• tw34

Christina, it is unlikely that February scores will be received in time to be reviewed with regular decision applications.

• Danielle

Hi, I applied to Cornell Regular Decision and have already sent two subject tests (both in science) and both reasoning tests I took. I however failed to notice Cornell doesn’t participate in score choice. Is it too late to send the other two subject test scores and will I be penalized?

• tw34

Danielle, it is not too late to send additional scores.

• John

I see that Cornell wants to see ALL SAT scores. If I did poorly the first time then improved by 250-300 points the last time, how will that be viewed by the admissions committee?. Will the low score be a detriment to my chances or will the higher score be viewed as a positive?

• tw34

John, only the scores that are most supportive of your application will be reviewed.

• Felix

Hi, I am a little confused about whether Cornell superscores the SAT and the ACT because I am hear different answers from all sides. If Cornell does superscore then why do they ask for all the scores?

• ad738

Cornell asks for all test results so that the selection committee may review the scores that are most supportive of your application.

• Emily

If I took both ACT and SAT and I did better on the ACT, would I have to send my SAT score at all?

• ad738

Emily, please send both your SAT and ACT scores. Rest assured, the selection committee will review the scores that are most supportive of your application.

• Seoyeon

On the ‘Freshman Admission Requirements,’ it says that SAT Subject Test is required in mathematics in the ‘Architecture, Art, and Planning’ section.
    However, it only mentions ‘Architecture’ next to it, so does it mean that you don’t need any SAT Subject Test for just the Art/Planning department?

• ad738

Hi, Seoyeon – You are correct. Students applying to the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning must take the SAT or ACT with writing. Architecture students are also required to take the SAT Subject Test in mathematics (any level). International students are required to take TOEFL or IELTS. For a list of all freshman admission requirements please visit http://admissions.cornell.edu/pdf/freshman-requirements-chart.

About the blog

We are pleased that you want to join us in an open conversation about admissions, financial aid, Cornell, Ithaca and anything else that is of interest to you, and to us More >>>