Admissions Interviews at Cornell

How do I schedule an interview? We hear this question a lot this time of year. The simple answer is that in most instances we don’t offer or require interviews for prospective students. But there are a few exceptions. Read on to find out if this applies to you.

Personal interviews are required for admission only if you are applying to:

• the Architecture program in the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning (freshmen and transfers)
  • the School of Hotel Administration (freshmen and transfers)
  • the School of Industrial and Labor Relations (transfers only)

Also, personal interviews are strongly recommended for admission if you are applying to the Art program in the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning.

To schedule the interview you should contact the college to which you have applied.

Once you apply to Cornell, an alumnus or alumna in your area may contact you to schedule a time to talk. While this optional, informal conversation helps the admission committee get to know you better, its main purpose is to give you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about Cornell. This meeting does not serve as an admissions interview, nor does it take the place of the admission interview, if one is required of you.

Interviewing or not, we want to ensure that your questions are answered. Feel free to contact us at Better yet, visit us on campus for an information session and campus tour. Both are great opportunities to meet admission representatives and current students and will give you the chance to ask your questions as well as hear what others are wondering. After all, that’s what the academic experience at Cornell is all about: asking questions, learning from each other, and gaining knowledge through exploration.

See you soon!

6 thoughts on “Admissions Interviews at Cornell

1. Hello, I am a high school senior applying for Cornell’s College of Architecture, Art, and Planning, and I wanted to know if I am the one who has to schedule the interview or does the Admissions Office contact me for the scheduling?

2. Hi
    I am a high school student applying for College of Art s and Sciences as an economics major.
    I was offered an interview with an alumna and was wondering why I was offered.
    Thank you!