So Long, February

Is it seriously March already?!

The semester is flying by. Last week the B.F.A. studio had our first critique of the semester, which was structured in a format none of us had experienced before: after handing out our project statements and answering process-focused questions, we were disallowed from talking about our work and forced to only receive the comments of our classmates and professors without response. For me, that was a bit of a shock to my system, but turned out to be a much-needed one. I am used to vocalizing my ideas during a critique, but through this experience I realized that I could be much more receptive to a semi-cold reading of my work without the pressure of needing to talk about it. Plus, it was a welcome treat to have our Contemporary Art Seminar professor Jane Benson and our Professional Practice professor Jane Farver take time out of their mornings to participate in our critiques, give their opinions, and get a better understanding of who we are as students and as people; it was a very caring and productive gesture on their part.

Meanwhile, New York City has been swirling in its usual frenzy of exciting events to be taken advantage of. For the past week and a half, NYC Restaurant Week has been in full swing, offering discounted prices on full course meals at some of the city’s top restaurants — which I have probably taken advantage of more than my wallet (and stomach) can afford, at restaurants like Mercer Kitchen and L’Ecole in Soho. And, as always, the music culture of New York City is unrivaled. Just yesterday, I got a chance to see Sango and GoldLink — two of my all-time favorite DJ’s and rappers, respectively — perform a Boiler Room show at MoMA PS1 as part of their Sunday Sessions series. Another upcoming show that I’m looking forward to is Jay Prince, Esta, and Iamnobodi at SOB’s later this month.

February was a very short month, but it has completely succeeded in making me fall even more in love with this city.

Performance at MoMA PS1