Welcome to New York City!

As I placed the last of my bags on the floor of my Manhattan residence, I realized that the fruits of my labor had indeed paid off. The pouring rain, the heavy snow, the struggle to move all of my art supplies in one piece were all worth it. My excitement only grew as I looked out the window and saw a picturesque view of the skyline, a sight which would become my daily reality. I currently live in the Markle Residence, located on 123 W. 13th Street- an all girls dormitory-style residence which is located just about five minutes away from our current studio. The rooms are fully furnished, and even have their own bathrooms! There is also a meal plan which allows you to save on the cost of food while being able to eat very delicious and substantial meals.

The residents of the Markle range in age from young to old, but they all have one thing in common: they are hardworking women who work either full- or part-time (working is an aspect of the Markle that serves as a prerequisite to living there). Their busy schedules, however, never prevent the residents from starting a friendly conversation or asking about your day – a refreshing experience in contrast to the busy and hurried mindset that sometimes feels pervasive in the city that never sleeps. It is not only the residents who make you feel at home, but also the entire staff. Upon arrival, I was unaware of how things in a city worked, coming from a more suburban environment. Typically, when one rings a doorbell, someone comes to open the door for you. In New York City, however, an alarm sounds and you let yourself in. Being completely oblivious to that when I first arrived, I rang the buzzer at the Markle and waited for someone to open the door. After several minutes, a security guard came to the door, only to ask me what I was doing. After she let me in, she explained the buzzer etiquette of New York, and helped me carry all of my things to my room.

Even though I was unfamiliar with my surroundings, I felt comfortable and aware that I was in good hands. As I began to settle into my new home, I met up with some friends who also live at the Markle. We scoped out the gym, which is located on the 17th floor of the residence and gazed outside through our incredible window of opportunity.

100The view from the gym at the Markle Residence