New York City Lifestyle

What do the BFA students do when not interred in studio, working at internships, or reading up on homework? I interviewed each Fine Arts major to find out a little about how they spend their free time. General consensus: while New York is supposedly the city that never sleeps, sleeping seems to be the favorite weekend pastime as finals approach.

The sunny weather has made it easier to explore different parts of the city. Photo by Danni Shen.

1) Aisha Abbassi, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Well, I live in a neighborhood where there’s a good amount of shopping so I generally get caught up in a store even if I didn’t mean to go in. My roommate and I also go look for new places to eat a lot. I think being in New York is a great opportunity for trying new things and we try to take advantage of the great food that Ithaca doesn’t have. If I’m in Chelsea I also go see some galleries.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? I guess the deli. There’s a deli a block away that has everything 24 hours a day. Breakfast, coffee, packaged food, amazing muffins…

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Just ride the trains and smell the smells of New York!

2) Lisedy Bueno, B.F.A. ’15

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I like to go out to bars uptown.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? Hale and Hearty and Chop’t. Chop’t is really good but extremely expensive.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? South Street Seaport is a really fun place to go that no one really goes to. My friend went there for her 16th birthday. There are a lot of nice restaurants and the boardwalk is right there.

3) Sara Cheong, B.F.A. and C.A.L.S. ’17

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I try new places to eat or I explore a new part of the city like the Brooklyn Flea market, the Botanical Gardens, or Central Park.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? The deli! Or $1 Pizza.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? They have to go eat good food like ice cream in Chinatown and then just walk around parks, and go to the Brooklyn Flea market. Also go to Soho or Chelsea.

4) Jae Hee Cho, B.F.A. ’15

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I like to take walks around the city especially if the weather’s nice. I also like to eat. I like to read in the park.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? I go to either La Petite Abeille next door or I go to the Pita place across the street.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go around and eat. The food is the priority! They will find their way. Everyone comes to the city with things and expectations in mind. During the spring, a lot of my friends came to the art events and fairs like the Armory Show, so the art scene here is definitely a big draw.

4) Minhye Choi, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Sleep. I hang out with my roommate most weekends and we go for walks in the parks when it’s sunny out. Otherwise just eat.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? I go out to eat either next door at Petite Abeille or at City Bakery. Both are pretty expensive but very good.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go to nice restaurant!

4) Esther Jun, B.F.A. ’15

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I like walking, reading, and sleeping. Right now I’m reading the New York Trilogy. I like to read books that are set in the city I’m in whenever I travel somewhere new.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? Around studio I like to go to the Pita place on 6th Ave and the café, Petite Abeille or City Bakery on 18th street.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Just walk around for a day. Don’t try to do anything special. Just pick an avenue like Broadway and walk from the top of Manhattan all the way down—see everything.

Second year BFA students, Rachel Margolis and Sara Cheong at the opening of "A Mercantile Novel" at David Zwirner Gallery in Chelsea. Photo by Danni Shen.
Second year BFA students, Rachel Margolis and Sara Cheong at the opening of “A Mercantile Novel” at David Zwirner Gallery in Chelsea. Photo by Danni Shen.

5) Lauren Jung, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Sleep or go to Central Park.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? The café next door or the deli around the corner.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go find a nice restaurant, or just hang out in Korea Town!

6) Valerie Kwee, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Just exploring around New York City, meeting up with friends. A lot of my friends from high school live in New York too so I mostly hang out with them.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? The deli.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go to Central Park and then see some galleries and museums. Try a bunch of cool food.

7) Rachel Margolis, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I like to sit quietly and relax. I also hang out with my friends on weekends a lot.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? Deli.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Walk around and see the sunset by the water near Battery Park and swing on the playground swings.

8) Naima Reddick, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Ride the trains. Smell the smells of New York.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? The food cart, Wafels and Dinges!

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Explore Soho and go shopping then get out of Manhattan and go to Brooklyn Botanic Gardens or the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx! Get outside!

BFA students eating a quick lunch together at Ikea between class field trips. Photo by Danni Shen.

9) Danni Shen, B.F.A. ’15

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I had a few months where my friends would come into the city and I’d take them around to museums, galleries, the Highline and stuff.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? I don’t eat. I bear with it.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Definitely go walk the Highline. There’s also a place called BaoHaus that is really cool for bao buns.

10) Melody Stein, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I like to visit galleries in new parts of the city and then sort of wander around that area. I have some friends in the city so it’s nice to tag along and see their favorite places to eat and hangout.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? The farmer’s market in Union Square is amazing. As the weather gets nicer more vendors keep showing up selling fresh bread, flowers, vegetables, everything!

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go explore each of the boroughs! New York City is more than Manhattan and some of my favorite places are in Queens and Brooklyn.

11) Emily Teall, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Explore the city. See friends.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? I go to Petite Abeille usually.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? If it’s nice out they should go to Central Park. If it’s not, then they should definitely go explore some museums.

7) Jin Yoo, B.F.A. ’16

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: I like to go to the movies or hang out with a friend. Sometimes I go thrift shopping in Brooklyn which is also fun.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? I go get chicken over rice at the Halal food cart on 6th ave and 18th street.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go to the Met, go see the Statue of Liberty, go to the Empire State Building. Run out of time doing all the touristy stuff first.

12) Katrina Yu, B.F.A. ’15

Describe a typical Saturday afternoon: Having a nice time with friends, going to movies, shopping.

If you’re hungry in studio, where do you go? Max Brenner or Starbucks around 14th street.

If people were coming to visit the city for the first time, what would you tell them to do? Go to the Empire State Building. I went with my friends and it’s really pretty.