WTC trip

As mentioned in my last entry, a few weeks ago our studio professors Henry Smith-Miller and Scot Teti took us to the World Trade Center Memorial.

The layout of the memorial has two square pools where the twin towers stood, a building designed by Snohetta, a green plaza, and the Freedom Tower.

It is hard to get the feeling of the space in an image. I’m pretty sure that anyone would feel some kind of emotion when going through the space. I shot a lot of pictures but couldn’t get one that could portray the way the light was hitting the waterfall, the waterfall itself, the reflection of the rain on the material, the green space next to the waterfall…. So here is a picture that I took that I like:

WTC

This picture was taken at the level of the ledge before looking over into the waterfall. I like the affect the reflection of the rain makes especially combined with the noise of the waterfall behind. The names of the victims are engraved on the ledge. Someone told me that the names are not arranged alphabetically. Instead, they are arranged according to more personal relationships whether they worked with each other or were close friends.

The Freedom tower has gone up very fast. When we visited they had just started the cladding and now they are almost finished! Not to mention it has been my personal landmark for when I get lost walking around wall street…

Me and Julia! a 4th year undergraduate, getting shelter from the rain under the Snohetta project at the World Trade Center Memorial
Rebecca pointing into one of the square pools.  We were talking about how the scale of the hole looks a lot deeper than it is.
Rebecca pointing into one of the square pools. We were talking about how the scale of the pool looks a lot deeper than it is.