Shigeru Crits

IMG00373-20101115-1827

Midreviews are behind us – and for the undergrads it marks a special milestone; Shigeru ban offers some face time. Not actually being in Shigeru’s studio it’s hard to offer first hand testimonial but maybe speaking about starchitect studio in general; the consensus is that you dont get much feedback from the named professors. And from what I understand it’s no different here, understandably of course; running an international firm and jet-setting around the world is probably quite taxing on anybody. So what then is a proper model for visiting international tutors? Having an associate from the named firm can be hit or miss, getting in the main partner might only be possible two or three times in a semester and having them in at a final review is only valuable for posterity. Obviously there are tremendous benefits to a starchitecture studio (like being poached by the office for outstanding performance) but is there a better way a school can select potential architects? or requirements for attendance/availability/feedback? How does Rem do it?

Published by:

Ryan

I started my architectural education in my hometown; Toronto, Canada, at Ryerson University. The program there is an undergraduate degree in architectural science (B.Arch. Sci.). Generally considered a technical program due to Ryerson's roots as a polytechnic institute, before becoming a university, its now changing its curriculum and effectively its image. During my tenure there, it was a changing school trying to shed its 'technical' image, for a more theoretical stance. However the curriculum was slow to change and parts of the old program remained while new types of classes were being tested. As a result, I've obtained a sort of schizophrenic undergrad invested in mechanical materiality and theory. The two years between my undergrad and grad school were spent working at a couple of firms; primarily Moriyama and Teshima Architects, then a change of pace at a couple of smaller offices including a very talented Toronto firm; Reigo and Bauer Architects. I managed to squeeze in some traveling in the last two years, but some of the best travel experience I've had were in my undergrad with my studio, something I look forward to in grad school.

Categories Ryan TrinidadeLeave a comment