NYC Event: Small Scale Big Change

IMG00297-20101029-1836

Currently at the MoMA there is an exhibit of particular interest to the architecture crowd, so much so it’s become a meeting place for us on our off days – just ask the classmates I ran into over thanksgiving weekend. Small Scale Big Change: An Architecture of Social Engagement focuses on architectural responses in underserved communities. A prevailing trend in architecture we are currently being educated in; the design of frameworks and community infrastructures and not just tectonics. Eleven architects, beautiful drawings and models, great range.

Published by:

Ryan

I started my architectural education in my hometown; Toronto, Canada, at Ryerson University. The program there is an undergraduate degree in architectural science (B.Arch. Sci.). Generally considered a technical program due to Ryerson's roots as a polytechnic institute, before becoming a university, its now changing its curriculum and effectively its image. During my tenure there, it was a changing school trying to shed its 'technical' image, for a more theoretical stance. However the curriculum was slow to change and parts of the old program remained while new types of classes were being tested. As a result, I've obtained a sort of schizophrenic undergrad invested in mechanical materiality and theory. The two years between my undergrad and grad school were spent working at a couple of firms; primarily Moriyama and Teshima Architects, then a change of pace at a couple of smaller offices including a very talented Toronto firm; Reigo and Bauer Architects. I managed to squeeze in some traveling in the last two years, but some of the best travel experience I've had were in my undergrad with my studio, something I look forward to in grad school.

Categories UncategorizedLeave a comment