NYC Event: Event Cities 4

IMG00355-20101112-1922

Wow, this was quite the nerdy weekend in New York. You would think that after two major reviews we would stay away from anything even remotely architectural – but here we are. The talk was to commemorate the launch Tschumi’s new book; Event Cities 4. It was held at the Storefront which fits nobody comfortably and this particular evening it was at capacity an hour before the talk was supposed to start as well none of the doors/windows(?) were opened beyond a crack to the discontent of the ballooning crowd on the sidewalk. This intrepid student found a window to peer into when a yellow shirt donning gentlemen made his way beside me to try and squeeze through the ajar window/door, when he was refused entrance Peter kindly said “I’m kind of speaking tonight, and would need to be inside” of course

Published by:

Ryan

I started my architectural education in my hometown; Toronto, Canada, at Ryerson University. The program there is an undergraduate degree in architectural science (B.Arch. Sci.). Generally considered a technical program due to Ryerson's roots as a polytechnic institute, before becoming a university, its now changing its curriculum and effectively its image. During my tenure there, it was a changing school trying to shed its 'technical' image, for a more theoretical stance. However the curriculum was slow to change and parts of the old program remained while new types of classes were being tested. As a result, I've obtained a sort of schizophrenic undergrad invested in mechanical materiality and theory. The two years between my undergrad and grad school were spent working at a couple of firms; primarily Moriyama and Teshima Architects, then a change of pace at a couple of smaller offices including a very talented Toronto firm; Reigo and Bauer Architects. I managed to squeeze in some traveling in the last two years, but some of the best travel experience I've had were in my undergrad with my studio, something I look forward to in grad school.

Categories Ryan TrinidadeLeave a comment