NYC Event: Givers Concert @ Mercury Lounge

Anyone who has seen ‘Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist’ regardless of their opinion on the film could agree that making the city of new york a character was probably one of the more redeeming aspects of the film – and they managed to do that through the rich indie music scene this city has. I love going to concerts, when I lived in Toronto I learned a different and transitory side of the city because of that. It became apparent that if I were to get that kind of familiarity with NYC I would have to get into the concert scene here. Last Saturday a friend and I walked down to the Lower East Side to check out the Givers at the Mercury Lounge. It’s supposedly a popular venue for up and coming bands, moderate cover and wonderfully intimate (about the size of the aap studio). Even the opening band was great (the Guards) but the Givers definitely were the big show – I wouldn’t be surprised if in a year they start headlining bigger shows. The crowd was made up of friends of the band  and casual fans – no pretense no hipsters.

IMG00326-20101106-2108

Published by:

Ryan

I started my architectural education in my hometown; Toronto, Canada, at Ryerson University. The program there is an undergraduate degree in architectural science (B.Arch. Sci.). Generally considered a technical program due to Ryerson's roots as a polytechnic institute, before becoming a university, its now changing its curriculum and effectively its image. During my tenure there, it was a changing school trying to shed its 'technical' image, for a more theoretical stance. However the curriculum was slow to change and parts of the old program remained while new types of classes were being tested. As a result, I've obtained a sort of schizophrenic undergrad invested in mechanical materiality and theory. The two years between my undergrad and grad school were spent working at a couple of firms; primarily Moriyama and Teshima Architects, then a change of pace at a couple of smaller offices including a very talented Toronto firm; Reigo and Bauer Architects. I managed to squeeze in some traveling in the last two years, but some of the best travel experience I've had were in my undergrad with my studio, something I look forward to in grad school.

Categories Ryan TrinidadeTags Leave a comment