City Walks 101016

Being in New York sometimes you want to get away from everybody – and all you really need to do is put on a pair of headphones and start walking. Last Friday I did just that. It was an incredibly satisfying serendipitous jaunt through midtown and I thought it could make for a great blog serial – so this is the first of many more to come.

CITY WALK 101015

Along the way I went through the Lever House, Seagram’s building and Morgan Library (among others) – and came to the conclusion that Renzo Piano’s New York Times is actually a derivative of Gordon Bunshaft’s Lever House, fifty (or so) years later. Raised podium over public ground plan, through block transparency with gallery even the massing with courtyard is freakishly similar. Of course I may be overly simplistic and speaking only of a typology but I also believe that Bunshaft was more successful in making a truly public ground plane.  Makes me really appreciative of what was accomplished by SOM given the period they were operating in.

IMG00262-20101015-1531

The soundtrack to this adventure consisted of Yeasayer’s Odd Blood, Ra Ra Riot and the new Sufjan Steven album The Age of Adz (amazing).

Published by:

Ryan

I started my architectural education in my hometown; Toronto, Canada, at Ryerson University. The program there is an undergraduate degree in architectural science (B.Arch. Sci.). Generally considered a technical program due to Ryerson's roots as a polytechnic institute, before becoming a university, its now changing its curriculum and effectively its image. During my tenure there, it was a changing school trying to shed its 'technical' image, for a more theoretical stance. However the curriculum was slow to change and parts of the old program remained while new types of classes were being tested. As a result, I've obtained a sort of schizophrenic undergrad invested in mechanical materiality and theory. The two years between my undergrad and grad school were spent working at a couple of firms; primarily Moriyama and Teshima Architects, then a change of pace at a couple of smaller offices including a very talented Toronto firm; Reigo and Bauer Architects. I managed to squeeze in some traveling in the last two years, but some of the best travel experience I've had were in my undergrad with my studio, something I look forward to in grad school.

Categories Ryan TrinidadeLeave a comment