The First Taste

When I received my housing assignment in Olin Hall, I first thought wait, am I living on Ho Plaza in a chemical coctailsengineering building back in Ithaca? But I quickly figured it out. Living up in Olin Hall, part of the Cornell Medical campus on the upper east side is great: I get to label myself an “upper east sider,” cool bars and restaurants are just a stone’s throw away, and the area is crawling with doctors who could save me if my clumsiness becomes life-threatening. While it is a bit of a commute to studio, you quickly become friends with the 6 train and the walk to and from the station—riding the subway and walking is half the fun of living here! And if this sounds more daunting than it actually is, NYC is well equipped with coffee shops on every corner to help you out along the way.

The food in the vicinity of the dorm has been a highpoint, with immense variety and locations to choose from. So far I have explored many eateries in the neighborhood, and here is a list of a few that would please any palette:

-Bamboo Sushi (69th St. + 1st) gives deliciously fresh sushi for reasonable prices, as well as an attentive wait-staff (not to mention a free edamame starter and fruit plate for dessert, if you’re lucky).

-Brother Jimmy’s BBQ (77th St. + 2nd) has a lively atmosphere, unbeatable pulled-pork sandwiches, inventive BBQ sauces, and a diversified drink menu.

-Spice (73rd St. + 2nd) has great Thai food, unbeatable prices, and it’s enough to share! There’s a warm ambiance, and their drink menu is unique and quite tasty.

-If Indian food is your preference, Bawarchi (63rd St. + 1st) has tasty morsels that can be purchased in buffet form, or their lunch box special, even all-day special deals.

The list is not complete without including the restaurant/café next door to studio—La Petite Abeille (‘the little bee’) with its Tin Tin theme, French waiters, and mouthwatering food, you won’t mind eating one or two of your daily meals here—or their selection of 50 Belgian beers. In addition to the outstanding food, La Petite Abeille offers daily specials and great deals Monday through Thursday. Think of it as an upgrade from the Green Dragon Café!

Without turning this into a blog of restaurant reviews, I’ll keep posting any good finds I come across to better your time in NYC!