It’s a Bigger Apple Than You Think

HighLine_1

It appears that I am avoiding attending Cornell on Ithaca soil. Having just spent all of this spring enjoying the wonders of the Rome program, I find myself jolted into the hustle and bustle of New York City life. But it’s not my fault, really, if AAP didn’t provide us with such enticing opportunities abroad, we would stick around Ithaca for all five years! So here I am with thirty plus architects (comprised of fourth and fifth years and MArch students) situated in a grand loft space on West 17street we call studio. After being briefed on the logistics of AAP NYC by Program Coordinator Brooke Moyse, we headed en masse out west to Diller, Scofidio + Renfro’s High Line, which opened this June in Chelsea. For those of you who have not yet stumbled across this combined landscape and architecture endeavor ten years in the making, stumble away because it’s worth the visit.HighLine_2

We had the privilege of a guided tour by Diller, Scofidio + Renfro architect Matthew Johnson. Then we entered the Standard Hotel that straddles the Highline, and after being scolded for taking photos by the bellboys in short-shorts and checkered shirts, we were whisked up to the 12th floor by the events coordinator and allowed to snoop in a few of their best accommodations. The elevated views of the High Line were stunning (and the bird’s eye view peaking into Diane von Furstenberg’s apartment/studio wasn’t bad either). We later regrouped in studio for the professor introductions and had a meet-and-greet reception that followed.

Highline_3Standard_1I spent the next couple of days trying to get my bearings in the city. I’m no stranger to Manhattan, but having never lived here the experience is fresh and exciting, and I sill don’t quite have my subway legs—tripping and getting jostled with the abrupt starts and stops of the trains. I still break out my “New York City” Molskin Notebook to figure out the subway lines and to record the best restaurants, cafes, and bars that I frequent. I’m thrilled to continue my explorations as the semester moves forward, and I will be sharing my findings and experiences here in this blog. Stay tuned for all the AAP NYC adventures that are sure to unfold!