Moving to the Big Apple

Oldblog_Otto_42nd St Walk_2

We’ve moved in!

On January 21, 2009 we officially became New Yorkers, or at least came one step closer. Our group of nine art students came from California, Chicago, New Jersey and Virginia, all eager to find our way in the hustle and bustle of New York City!! 12 architecture students are also here for the AAP program this semester. In the next few months, I hope you will get to meet all 21 of us!
I’m a second year art student. My mind’s not made up yet about which concentration I will do, but I hope that this semester in the city will give me some idea of which future projects I will pursue. The city provides us with an infinite amount of opportunities–apart from the galleries, museums, theaters, stores and other large enterprises the city offers, there are so many nooks and crannies we have yet to discover–it’s these little hidden treasures and surprises, unique to only New York City, that enrich our experience and give us something to not only talk about, but draw inspiration from. I for one have never seen full grown Caucasian men wearing ancient Chinese garb and riding on mopeds in order to advertise the coming of Chinese New Year…
We have wrapped up our first week of class. So far we’ve seen several Chelsea galleries and explored the area around our studio situated conveniently by Union Square. We’ve started to familiarize ourselves with the subway system, the pace and feel of the city and its inhabitants. And I think all of us are trying to strategize just how to make the most out of this program and get to know the city and use it to our advantage.
Today the class had a trip to Dia:Beacon, NY. Upcoming trips include one to the New York Public Library and the Morimoto Restaurant, so look forward to updates soon!